Angled Crane Dial-Ese faucet mount lavatory sink repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
]I have this late 1950's lavatory sink that the faucets have frozen up from hard water.The Hot opens just a little and the Cold doesn't budge.The handles are 4 inch spaced.

I know from the archives here that new faucets for an angled sink of this type are pretty much unavailable. I want to free up the existing faucets and get it working again.(Replacing the sink and faucet isn't in my budget) Any tips on how to go about this? NOTE:in this same house, I have replaced other faucets of this type that aren't angled, and found that a wrench will break them loose.But I've never tried getting one to work after being freed up by a wrench and thrown away.

Attachments

• inertiacoupling_1.jpg
    inertiacoupling_1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 5,746
Last edited by a moderator:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thats a Crane Dial-ese I believe. parts are available. Remove the screws from the handles and remove them. There will be a plastic insert that fits the handle and also fits over the brass splines of the stem. You will need a hot and cold stem.

I would like you to remove the handles and snap a pic before you order those parts. Despite what you may have heard,I'm not perfect. LOL

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I will post a picture with the handles off when I get back up there in a few days.
(It's 100 miles away from where I live)

On another sink there that isn't angled, it had the same Dial-Ese type faucet that was also installed when the house was built in 1959.
I dug the parts from it out of the trash, and the stems look like the Crane - FB8552 - Dial-Ese Cold Water Stem, and the Crane - FB8553 - Dial-Ese Hot Water Stem shown first in the link you gave me.

I'm guessing it may be the same in the angled sink, but won't know for sure til i take it apart.

Reaction score
Thats a Crane Dial-ese I believe. parts are available. Remove the screws from the handles and remove them. There will be a plastic insert that fits the handle and also fits over the brass splines of the stem. You will need a hot and cold stem.

I would like you to remove the handles and snap a pic before you order those parts. Despite what you may have heard,I'm not perfect. LOL

Got back up here today and snapped a picture.
The plastic inserts under the handles you speak of were there.

I find that things are REALLY frozen up.
Any suggestions on how to get this unfrozen?

I already sprayed PB Blaster on it, but it doesn't give.
Am afraid I'll crack the sink.

These angled sinks make it hard to get a wrench on things.

I have fairly clean chrome base parts from the faucet I replaced that I would like to install.

202faucet1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The standard version of that faucet has locknuts to secure the stems. That one used the chrome sleeves for the locknuts so you have to loosen them first, the the stems unscrew with just a little effort. New complete stem units are available at a reasonable price so I would just replace both of them. Stems and handles are the only parts available for that faucet.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Some of the seats are still available. Looks like 4 different style seats were used in that valve over the years it was produced. At least 2 styles of them are available,......maybe the other two are also but I haven't checked.

You may not need seats anyway. The leather gaskets are available too.

Reaction score
The standard version of that faucet has locknuts to secure the stems. That one used the chrome sleeves for the locknuts so you have to loosen them first, the the stems unscrew with just a little effort. New complete stem units are available at a reasonable price so I would just replace both of them. Stems and handles are the only parts available for that faucet.

I know about the chrome sleeves from taking another similar (but un-angled) faucet apart to replace it.

It's the chrome sleeves that won't unscrew on this one.
They've been there since 1959, and the notches on them are badly corroded, so there's no way of getting a bite on them.

Because of the angled mounting surface, the only tool I can get in is a small pipe wrench on the Hot side, and on the Cold side, the closeness of the spout prevents even that.
So I would have to remove the sink from the wall to get the small pipe wrench on the Cold side.

Are there other types of wrenches i can use to remove the chrome pieces?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Some of the seats are still available. Looks like 4 different style seats were used in that valve over the years it was produced

That faucet does NOT need replaceale seats. The entire mechanism is in the replaceable core. The only thing holding the sleeves is corrosion and a cork gasket. Use Channelocks or "locking" pliers on them. You might even have some luck using a large "crescent wrench" on the stem's flats and removing the entire thing as a unit. This will require more effort at first because you have to overcome the "clamping' action of the sleeve, but it will loosen.

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
quote; Some of the seats are still available. Looks like 4 different style seats were used in that valve over the years it was produced

That faucet does NOT need replaceale seats. The entire mechanism is in the replaceable core. The only thing holding the sleeves is corrosion and a cork gasket. Use Channelocks or "locking" pliers on them. You might even have some luck using a large "crescent wrench" on the stem's flats and removing the entire thing as a unit. This will require more effort at first because you have to overcome the "clamping' action of the sleeve, but it will loosen.

My book shows the seats....4 different styles. Would you like to see a pic? Crane Dial-ese......some are pre war....others are not.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They probably made them, but for all practical purposes they are "permanent". Because of the way a Dial-Eze stem is made and works there is absolutely NO WEAR on the seat.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
They probably made them, but for all practical purposes they are "permanent". Because of the way a Dial-Eze stem is made and works there is absolutely NO WEAR on the seat.

No probably to it. But sure they are not common to replace,but they are available. So are the lock rings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks