Angle stop valves for bathroom sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bjferri, Mar 20, 2008.

1. bjferri

bjferri DoD Army

The connection from the 1/2" copper water supplies to the angle stop valves, is Compression or IPT fitting better? I just want the one that is less likely to leak down the road. Thanks...
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Properly installed, either is fine. If the compression is overtightened, installing a new one later might mean cutting the pipe back. You may need a puller to get the old ferrule off, but can reuse it - the nut might be pretty anymore, though.
  3. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I have both and I prefer IPT for ease of fitting and removal, and less potential to leak. And if it does leak, at least you can apply (more) teflon tape and tighten it. Not so with compressions.

Although I did manage to tighten a compression to stop it weeping recently. Guess I got lucky and just hadn't tightened it enough when I first fitted it.
  4. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

Properly installed, either is fine.
  5. bjferri

bjferri DoD Army

What's the trick with getting both risers from the IPT angle stop valves pointing strait up? Is it possible?
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trick

There is no trick. You just tighten them further, assuming you have not already bottomed the pipe in the valve.
  7. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Is it necessary?
  8. jadnashua

Asthetically...yes. Practially, no.
  9. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

With all the junk my wife piles under the sink, you can't see them.

There's a good argument for compression fittings, BTW -- I put them on loosely, see how the risers want to lie, and then tighten up the compression nuts. In some cases, I'm best off pointing the stops down, rather than up.
  10. bjferri

bjferri DoD Army

Asthetically I want them pointing up. I have a decorative wall hung sink w/ exposed plumbing that hits you in the face when sitting on toilet. Maybe this is a good argument for compression; would rather have IPS though...
  11. rudytheplbr

rudytheplbr 36 Journeyman Plbr

Did you Know

Did you no that there is a new style fixture shut-off valve. Its copper tube sized and you just push it on to the 1/2" supply tube. Looks neat and I beleive it's Talon that makes them.

Good Luck,:):)
  12. jadnashua