Angie's List, When an A grade is not enough

Users who are viewing this thread

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ian, the best thing about being an American is that even with a failing economy, a couple of wars, a healthcare crisis and the poo generally hitting the fan, we can still find time for the more important things in life like American Idol and chucking pumpkins. You know damn well that there ain't nobody chucking no pumpkins in Rooooshia. Least ways not with some rig that cost near half a million dollars.

Oh yes, the 50/50 thing. Gotta get the lead out and we ain't talking Zepplin here.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Ian, the best thing about being an American is that even with a failing economy, a couple of wars, a healthcare crisis and the poo generally hitting the fan, we can still find time for the more important things in life like American Idol and chucking pumpkins.

You know what Peter. The longer I stay here, the more I begin to appreciate that.

And on Punkin Chunkin, I love the thought of one American once saying to another, "you know what, this pumpkin is going over there."

And then everyone pissing themselves with laughter.

Last edited:

rwcarpenter

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it, all that crap they advertise on TV is pretty much scams now days, the word is getting around anyway, so eventually they will seek you in the yellow pages when it dawns on them that they were took.

http://knaddison.com/technology/why-angies-list-sucks

And speaking of tv ads for scams, another one I see advertised that concerns me in my profession is finallyfast.com, tired of watching those ads on tv for cedit card scamming software that finds problems and asks for the billing info to fix it then nails you multiple times for your dough. Its another Ascentive LLC made product like Personal Antivirus 2008/2009/2010/Pro, PC Speedscan Pro, etc. Eventually they bring the pc to me, and I explain that they were screwed out of their money and really fix it for them, and sometimes I do it for 1/2 off or even free if they are not repeat offenders (yes some keep installing the crap).

Last edited:

rwcarpenter

Reaction score
I tried a little Georgia moonshine once when I was in Georgia visiting some kin. Once was enough, I am pretty sure you could fuel a rocket with the stuff, it was smooth alright cause it burned everything out of its path on the way down.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
OK, so Savannah might have some of the good stuff then.

I should have sniffed around when I was down there last year.

Although I was a little bit spooked by the ghost in the room I was staying in...

There must be a way of getting Moonshine across State lines.

dukedenver.JPG

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Here is a simple recipe for some knock down wine...You can buy every thing at a grocery store but the tubing...

1 quart of Welches Grape Juice

1 packet of Fleischmann's Yeast

1 cup sugar

5' of 1/8" plastic tubing or a large balloon

jar 3/4 full of water

combine all ingredients and warm mixture to about 95 F stirring until every thing is dissolved

drill a hole in the cap large enough to fit the plastic tubing tight but not so tight that air is unable to pass through the tube

pour the mixture back into the bottle leaving a 4" air space between the liquid and the cap...screw on the cap and tubing...place the other end of the tubing in the jar of water with the end of the tube about 3" below the water level and tape it so it wont move...place the whole thing in a warm spot for about 2 weeks or until the fermentation stops and you will have something very potent...while I never checked it I am going to guess it was at least 100 proof...

Keep and eye on the jar of water and don't allow the water to get below the tubing

If you don't want to go to all the hassle of the tubing you can use a balloon that will fit over the top of the bottle...but you need to prick 2-3 holes in it with a pin then stretch it over the bottle top..

It doesn't taste to hot because of the type of yeast used...but it will knock you for a loop

I use to do this when I was a kid.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A gallon of apple cider

1 cup sugar

1 box of raisins

Heat until sugar dissolves and raisins plump up

Put in gallon glass jugs

Stretch ballon over top of jug

Store in cool place for a week or so

Pour into plastic milk jug

Cap and freeze

Scrape of frozen outer stuff

Drink unfrozen stuff

Wake up with massive hang over

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
solder

The distilling process is much different than just having water flowing through the pipes. The car radiators they often use as a condenser, if they are soldered with 50/50, as most are, WILL contaminate the moonshine with lead. In addition, the process of soldering a radiator is such that the liquid is exposed to much more solder than when fittings are soldered together.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My neighbor came by today,
then one with two TOTO ADA Ultramax toilets and a Toto Soiree.

He belongs to "Check Book" which rates all kinds of consumer products and services.

In Bothell they listed the lowest price plumbers with high quality.

I'm one of the three plumbing companies listed.

Does that mean I should raise my rates, if I'm the lowest priced, high quality plumber in Bothell?

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Does that mean I should raise my rates, if I'm the lowest priced, high quality plumber in Bothell?

If you're doing so much work there you can't keep up with the demand and are turning away customers, then yes.

Else, no. And if there's no work there at the moment, consider lowering them. Simple economics and you don't need a Check Book to tell you that.

However, given the importance of "reputation" to plumbing and all the uncertainty regarding it (i.e. you can't trust the Yellow Pages), it might even be worth giving a discount for first-time customers. Many people happy with a first experience with a plumber, won't bother calling around and just hire them straight when they need the services of a plumber again.

I'm gonna call you out to install a Toto in the Washington area one of these days.

The Washington D.C. area, that is. I'll phone for a quote on 1 April 2010 and drop the D.C. ditty at the end of the call. It'll be a long way to haul a one-piece!

Terry Love's Plumbing and Remodel. Have toilets, will travel. Extra charge for Jamie and the auger. But it's worth it.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
...it might even be worth giving a discount for first-time customers. Many people happy with a first experience with a plumber, won't bother calling around and just hire them straight when they need the services of a plumber again.

That makes sense to get new customers but I really hate that business practice. Like when comcast offers a great deal for new customers, I've had comcast for 10+ years..that should be worth a discount for a steady customer. The wife and I have had Sprint PCS for over 13 years...I should get a 15% discount just for loyalty. :cool:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm already $50 cheaper then Lowes Hardware on my toilet installs.
I don't know how I could be that much lower then them.

Sure, why not Washington DC.
I enjoyed the last trip out there.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Here is a simple recipe for some knock down wine...
I use to do this when I was a kid.

The Mad Dog days were quite memorable

maddog.jpg

and my personal favorite

puregrapewine.jpg

These were the beverage of champions, those who wanted to bring the momentous occaision of drunkardness for the mere cost of $3.83 cent at Collets on US42 in florence.

All I can say is someone was looking after me and those on the road those nights because I don't know how I drove being that wasted.

There's a reason why those bottles are flat

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks