And yet another laundry room in need of sink question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Krajewski

Reaction score
We recently bought a house in sunny Florida (certainly a nicer way to spend winters than in Michigan). We have a larger laundry room but were surprised there was no sink in the laundry room. After cleaning paint brushes in the kitchen sink and dumping dirty water from cleaning the floors into the bath tub, I’d sure like to add a cabinet with a deep utility sink in the laundry room!

I have read the other laundry room/sink postings

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/adding-utility-sink-to-laundry-room.57855/

and have seen pictures with the sink line vented back to the existing stack with a new short vent line.
washer_rough_b.jpg

But our setup is a little different than this. We have the stand pipe for the washer with a p trap emptying into the drain/vent line. There are no other plumbing connections currently. I drew a picture of the existing plumbing (shown in blue) and added in the new plumbing (gold-ish color) run for a sink.

Picture2.png

My question to the forum is quite simple. Can we hook in the new sink drain line as shown? And if so, does the drawing show the correct connector (Spears P500) for this setup?

If this kind of a setup is not allowed, can someone suggest an alternative?

Kindest regards,
Mark

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The traps must be above grade, and the trap arms must be horizontal, with 1/4" per foot gradient.

The washer drain is normally tied into the stack with a sanitary tee. The sink drain is commonly tied in with another sanitary tee installed on top of the one for the washer. This is called a vertical wet vent, and it is approved in many areas. In those areas which it is not, the re-vent is required.

Mark Krajewski

Reaction score
cacher_chick,

Thanks for the information. There is certainly enough room to add a sanitary tee as you suggest and that's the way I'll go. Two additional questions if you don't mind:

1) the vent above where I need to add the new sanitary tee is probably 10 feet straight up before it exits through the roof. How does one secure the vent line to insure it doesn't slide down when trying to install the new sanitary tee?

2) can the sanitary tee be installed with Fernco type couplings or should it be solvent welded in place?

Thanks in advance
Mark K

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Just have someone hold it, although it is probably secured by the flashing where it exits the roof. If it does move, that would make it easier to install the tee, because you cannot use the "all rubber" Ferncos to install it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you move it around too much, it will damage the roof jack or flashing, which will then need to be repaired also. If you can clamp it to framing, temporary or otherwise, up near the top of the wall, it might save you some trouble.
Using the banded couplers allows you to adjust the angle of the tee later if need be, but then be sure to secure the trap arm to blocking so nothing moves in the future.

Mark Krajewski

Reaction score
hj & cacher_chick,

Thanks for the responses. I will use a riser clamp to support the vent pipe when doing the plumbing surgery. And if I can't move the pipe up enough to slip in the new connection and solvent weld, I will use the banded couplers (not the all rubber ones). I appreciate the assistance!

Thanks!

Mark

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks