americast's Princeton bathtub creaking

Users who are viewing this thread

billy9

Reaction score
I was so ignorant not to do research on the common problem about this bathtub. My contractor suggested me to get Americast bathtub.

After the bathtub installation and walls tiling was complete, I found out about bathtub creaking.

At this point, my contractor suggested to do nothing and try to ignore the creaking. Alternatively, he could cut through the walls from bedrooms and put in the spray foam. He said this means American Standard wouldn't warantee the tub anymore and some creaking noise might still exists. He might not to be able to reach all the spots.

Through the internet search, I am complete now confused what I should do. I found the mixed views about using spray foam. Some suggest the tub re-installation.

I would appreciate any more suggestions.
bill

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
creaking

The Americast tub itself should not make any noise. Therefore, and sound you hear may be the subfloor or something that the tub is sitting on doing the creaking. If you think it is the tub, call American Standard and have the local representative look at it.

billy9

Reaction score
what should I do?

How can I figure out what caused the creaking? I think I did walk on the subfloor before this tub was installed and didn't hear anything. If the subfloor is making noise, should I be concerned?

The American standard rep said that creak is due to the stringer, either not full-length, levelled or properly attached. They are not sending anyone of this type of tub; that's what the rep said.

My contractor was the one who recommended this tub and he said he installed in many places and have never got any complaints.

What if my contractor insists to put foam in as the only solution besides living with it.

thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stringer

If it were the stringer, and that is where the creaking comes from, the joint where the tile meets the tub would be cracking loose. The tub's weight is spread over a larger area of the subfloor, so it could creak, even though it did not when you walked on small areas of it.

billy9

Reaction score
what should I do?

thanks, hj.

There is no crack in the joint between tiles and tub. It looks solid. Would it happen right away or could it take time?

What's your take on the situation? live with it? Putting in foam by cutting the side walls and forgetting about warranty? or ... ?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
warranty

For all practical purposes the warranty is not a factor. You will seldom have a situation where the tub has to be replaced, and if you did, they would not know there is foam under it until it was taken out, and once that happens you could remove any vestiges of the foam in case they wanted the tub back, which they seldom do.

billy9

Reaction score
thanks, hj. Interesting points about warranty.

I am still wondering whether the foam will solve creaking problem and it won't delaminate the tub as the American Standard rep said. Is that a valid concern? The rep is confident that nails/screws are rubbing against the tub when it creaks. The more I hear the noise, The more I feel like it is from the back. But who knows my ears might not be right. Using deckmate screws with the wooden stud wouldn't cause the creaks right? That's what my contractor said he used.

When you said "for practical purpose", are you referring to my situation which all installation is done and it doesn't make sense to take out tiles and redo the installation?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks