Americast bathtub creaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Wallace 49

Reaction score
I just had an Americast bathtub installed. When you stand in it it creaks like crazy. A ledger board was used, Sound seems to be comming from slight flexing of tub against studs. Tub has been fastened to studs with head of roofing nail catching flange. Any ideas? I,ve got the plumber returning. Americast does not recommend a mortar base under tub. Thanks

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I ignore mfg. specs on any tub (when I used to do it) and mortar based all showers and tubs, even steel ones.

That tub you have will eventually spider crack, the stains will not be removable and possibly leak over time.

americast-tub-instructions-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

The tub had "feet" under it to set on the floor. If the ledger board lifted the tub off of them then it could creak, otherwise I cannot imagine how it would possibly flex if it were sitting firmly on the floor.

bathman007

bathroom remodeling contractor since 1984
Reaction score
Website
www.colvinbath.com
Americast tubs do not have feet. They do require a ledger board. What we do to support the bottom is make a "barrito" out of mortar and visqueen. We lay a sheet of visqueen on the floor, pour our mortar on the visqueen then lay another layer of visqueen on top of the mortar then squish the tub into the mortar bed. By doing this we eliminate the mortar from coming into direct contact with the composite backing and achieve a very solid and squeek free installation. Once you set the tub, stay out of it for 24 hours to allow the mortar to set up.

Guy

Wallace 49

Reaction score
Americast creaking

OK, I have heard of the mortar method before, but this manufacturer says it is not needed. I think it's a good idea for support. Anyway, now that it's been flexing and squeaking i'm concerned that the enamel finish has been compromised even if it can't be seen now. What do you think?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Depends on many things

like how heavy the users were, how long was it like that, how much movement there was.

The cracks when they surface will be years, not months from now. It might be your best bet depending on the circumstance that maybe you could ask them to switch it out. ???

That's a stretch but if there was damage, it needs to go. If it has been flexing for weeks, it definitely needs to be switched out.

If that ledger board wasn't firmly anchored to the studs, that could be to blame as well. No chance of keeping a good caulk bead along the top of tub as well.

Wallace 49

Reaction score
americast

It's only been installed for 2 days. I noticed the creaks when I was starting to hang the hardiboard for the tile job. It's had some pretty heavy guys in and out of the tub for 2 days. I'm thinking of telling them to switch it out to cast iron, my first choice, or get a written guarantee for no cracks, I'm dealing with a very reliable outfit that has always treated me right.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
americast is junk

I would not have an Americast tub in my house.....

they are good for about 3 years of light duty

not heavy duty....kids takeing baths every night ect....

and then they begin to fade and scratch up badly then ....

discolor and ..turn yellow ect.

that has also been my experience with their kitchen sinks too

and I have had a couple of the americast tubs actually get a dip
in the middle of them and water ponded in eh center of the tub...

you can also chip an americast tub just like the cheap
tin ones....right on the very first day

...so be careful with themduring the construction phase....
keep some cardboard or carpet in them
or you will regret it....

(of course you can chip a cast too but it takes some effort)

I actually prefer the STERLING plastic tubs over the AMERICAST

never had a problem with the sterling when you put a base of
concrete under them... they are better than the AMERICAST.

if you can get the plumber to put in the cast or a STERLING
..its much much better.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

My remembrance was that Americast had a support frame under it, but that does not seem to be the case. Any warranty would be from American Standard as long as it was installed to their specifications, which specifies a ledger board and the tub not touching the floor.

justin2006

Reaction score
American Standard Whirlpool

I'm new to this forum, but I have an American Standard Whirlpool (Cadet) and it also creaks in a few places when taking a shower (I'm 6'6" and 235 pounds). I didn't own the house when it was installed, but the installers followed the manual (quoted below) -- i.e. they did not use a foundation base such as cement, mortar, etc.

Replace whirlpool and re-shim the integral support feet, shimming the entire length of the support feet. Secure the shims using construction adhesive, silicone, mortar or equivalent materials. While not a necessity, the use of a foundation base consisting of cement (e.g. Sakrete), mortar, or grout will help provide a solid and secure installation.

I don't have a warranty on the bathtub, so I hope this isn't a sign that it is going to crack or worse over time. Okay, wishful thinking I suppose. But if this is a common problem, then it seems that American Standard should mandate that their tubs be installed with a foundation base that won't allow the tub to creak.

Dang....

Wallace 49

Reaction score
Americast Creaking

OK, game over. I got the plumber back to check the tub and he was surprised at the amount of noise it was making. Long story short, Americast is coming out cast iron is going in. It's what I wanted originally, but got talked into Americast because of weight. He is a stand up guy, and is only charging for price diff of tubs plus small labor charge to deal with the extra weight during installation. Thanks for your input.

Wallace 49

Reaction score
Americast

Honeysuckle, You can unorder it. Don't settle at this point. I know how you feel, but you will be much happier knowing you did it right the first time. As you know I already have mine installed ,and it's coming out. Do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake. I wanted cast to begin with, but the plumbers like to use lighter tubs. Now is the time to change your mind. Hope your project goes well. Don

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks