American water heater heater from 2007

Users who are viewing this thread

Kriv john

Reaction score
Hello,

I found this forum in searching for hot water heater related searches. I have a question.
So, no hot water and i open up the bottom door on the heater to relight thebpilot and then i see a big twisty metal thing lying right on top of the burner. There were a lot of crumbs all around. I touched the metal part and some part just crumpled in my hand. Any one knows what it is? It was squat righrt on the burner

Heater is american water heater PVG62 75T75

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 297
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 294
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 317

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is the remains of the "turbulator" which hangs in the center flue of the water heater. Its purpose is to slow the flue gases down and force them to the sides of the flue to give better heat transfer to the water in the tank. Remove the tle flue pipe and draft diverter, then pull the rest of it out of the center flue. You should be able to get a "new" one from a plumbing distributor who has a bunch of old heaters in his yard.

Kriv john

Reaction score
hj,
Thank you for taking the time. While i get the replacement like you suggested, is it safe to try light the pilot and use the heater for few more days? It looks like the pilot shut off when this fell from the center tube onto the burner
Thanks
Kriv

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you have probably had a fire or a mega hot situation in the heater that has caused this baffle to melt
and fall down onto the burner assembly..... Putting a new baffle in this pig is probably not wise

It appears to be a 2007 unit and American Heaters are basically junk ..they make whirlpool.
I would suggest you should just change out this heater and get a Rheem before
you have other issues with it.....

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
'is it safe to try light the pilot and use the heater for few more days?"

Not recommended. Better to use the WH without the baffle than with this broken/damaged baffle.

However, since it's a 9 year old WH, consider replacing it.

I'm not that critical of American water heaters, I've seen them run well over 12 years on occasions. What I disliked about them (and it's corrected now) was the left hand thread on the pilot thermocouple.

Rheem is a good brand of WHs (and the best for a/c equipment), I've had issues with GE WH (made by Rheem) before.

Buy the one WH that is on sale, forget the brand, roll your dice and hope for the best. Oh, and stay with a 6 year WH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks