American vs Taco airscoop

Users who are viewing this thread

Slim

Reaction score
Hello all.
I have an old American air scoop 1 1/4" that has cracked and needs replaced.
I looked at a replacement in a Taco. The spec sheet stated that it needs a clear 18" run to the inlet
to work correctly, I unfortunately only have about 6" (stop that snickering) That cant be reworked into a
longer run.
I can find pristine replacements on ebay but they are all over 2o years old.
As I cant seem to find a spec sheet on the old American would it be best to get the old American
or go ahead and get the taco? The American has done the deed at my home for over 15 years that I know of with out a air problem.
I know the smartest thing would be to get a spiro or some such, I just don't have that kind of cash to spend at this time.
Thanks in Advance
Slim

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The American and the taco are the same, manufactured by the same foundry. Both need 18" past the elbow. Yours was installed incorrectly as were about 90% of the ones in the field.

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have Weil McLain boilers , National US ,or old American Standard boiler, you don't need the pipe in air scoop as the boiler already have built in one. However, pump will needs to be on supply side for it to works properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks