American Standard toilet with hole in back of trapway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is an American Standard toilet that I removed the other day. As started to carry it out of the home, we noticed water coming from it. Surprising, as we had where I expected possible water was already plugged. I set it back down and found this hole at the back of the bowl.

standard-hole-in-trapway.jpg

You can see that water had been leaking from that hole over the years. I would think that would also be a good spot for sewer gas to escape from. Ever have a smell in a bathroom and you can't figure out why?

It looke like there was water that had dried behind the bowl. A little bit of water at a time with some brown stuff that would dry before the next use.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes, they'll put holes in the raw casting to help allow moisture to escape along with hot air when firing the thing in the kiln, then, it's supposed to be plugged. You can see evidence of a plug above. Who really knows, but it shouldn't be open in actual operation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks