American Standard Toilet Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

ClassicTVMan1981

Reaction score
While I understand that American Standard had produced its 4049 tank from 1962 to 1981 (let me know if you have a 4049 made in 1982 or 1983), could you please find out when did AS first put water-saving equipment into it, and which were the first models to do so?

My 1969 AS price list catalogs an "Elongated Water Saver Cadet" model 2019, but in reality is just the 2109 Elongated Cadet with water-saving equipment in the tank. The actual complete model is 2109.395, or would that apply to a 1978-81 model?

If the parts inside the tank differ because of the flush volume (3.5 GPF water saving volume vs 5.0 GPF full flush volume), then wouldn't the bowl be slightly different as well to match the current mandated flush volume?

All the 1962-style Cadet models -- 2120, 2122, 2124 and the elongated 2109 (and joined in 1968 by the 18" high 2108) -- were popular sellers. In 1982, the 4049 tank was replaced by the 4083 tank on these and other models, but again, wouldn't the bowl designs (and model numbers) be different as to match the flush volume of the period?

Thank you all for your anticipated cooperation!

~Ben

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the mid 80's they moved to 3.5 gallons. Non of which worked very well. They sold a lot of plunger back then.
Then in 92 they went to 1.6 and things got really bad. Lately they have done a much better job at flushing. Plunger sales are way down.

plebe-tank-01.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks