American Standard Tank 4083 flapper issue

Users who are viewing this thread

drwilkid

Reaction score
I have an AS toilet from the 80's, Tank 4083. I have replaced 3 flappers in the last few weeks. Evidently, I am not getting a good seal because about every 5-8 minutes, the toilet runs like the last several seconds of a flush cycle. But every time I replace a flapper, I run my finger around that seat to make sure there are no obstructions, etc. I installed a flapper specifically for AS toilets today and still the same issue. I have three of these units and this one is the most troublesome. What do I do next?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Check the following:

(1) the chain length -- and make sure that the chain isn't pulled a little when you put the lid back on -- the chain should have a little bit of slack, but not so much that it bunches under the flapper. If it is too short, it can hold the flapper a little off the seat of the flush valve. Sometimes happens when the trip lever handle rotates a bit in its hole. Does the problem occur when the chain isn't hooked to the trip lever arm?

(2) whether the refill tube is just shoved down the overflow riser; if so, it can cause a siphon. It should have daylight between it and the top of the refill tube, but putting it on the little clip.

(3) whether this is the right-sized flapper. Generally, for an AS toilet with a standard flush valve, a classic Korky flapper should work fine.

(4) whether you have any cracks in the overflow riser, either above or below the flush valve seat. Turn off the water to the toilet and see how far it falls on its own. If it stops, say, 1/3 down from where it started, then check for a crack at that height. If it drains all the way out dry to the very bottom of the tank, below the flush valve seat, crack below flush hole. If it drains right to the flapper, probably a flapper issue as you suggest. There are seat repair kits, Korky makes one that comes with a new flapper and a little ring for it to seal against, but this may not be your problem, so try the other stuff first.

Good luck and let us know if none of this works.

drwilkid

Reaction score
And the Winner is #2! There was no clip and the refill tube was straight across to the overflow riser and shoved down pretty far. So I 'charley-rigged' a large paper clip as my clip and put a little bend in the tube and haven't had a problem all day!
Thanks!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The pleasure is ours! Glad we were able to help and that you are back in business! And thanks for letting us know that we were able to help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks