American Standard Shower fittings and faucets

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Mahnrut, May 5, 2009.

1. Mahnrut

Mahnrut New Member

We are gutting and remodeling a shower bathroom and have found a style of fixtures we like in American Standard Green Tea Collection. I am a bit concerned as I can only find negative comments about American Standard bathroom fittings on websites. The bathroom is going to cost a lot before we get to the fixtures so although American Standard seems a bit less expensive than other makes and we are not averse to saving a bit we want quality fittings that will last especially for things like the thermostatic valve which is not so easily changed out. I have heard that AS are metal outside but the working parts (valves etc) are all plastic. If anyone has any experience with this make I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks
  2. Herk

Herk Plumber

AS and Kohler tub & shower valves are pretty similar. I don't much care for either of them. I have used a number of AS basin faucets and some sink faucets and they're OK. Basins are pretty good - sink faucets seem a bit tall and bouncy on a SS sink. Sometimes, the kitchen handles seem to be designed so they're hard to adjust once opened, but that's not uncommon in various new ones.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If the quality control on the faucets are like they have on their toilets, forget 'em. Every plumber as his/her own favorite brands. FWIW, mine is Delta, but that is not to flame others. I've never had a bad experience with Delta.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Oh yipeeeeee!
    The cycle is compleeeeeeeeeetttttttttttteeeeeeeeee.
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucets

The working parts of MOST shower valve are plastic these days, so that is no longer a determining factor.