American Standard shower control leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by allyner, Mar 28, 2009.

1. allyner

allyner New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I remodeled my bathroom 12 years ago and installed a new American Standard single handle shower control (the kind that looks sort of like a tongue depressor). I noticed recently that it was dripping from the shower head (about one drop every nine seconds) and so I replaced the ceramic cartridge with a new one (American Standard PN 023529-007A, cartridge kit including seals). Much to my chagrin, the dripping continues at about the same rate, even with the new cartridge and seals. Can you suggest anything else I might check that could be causing this leak?
  2. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Aug 17, 2008
    Hand copper part cleaned ready to go
    Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon b
    Being American (sub)Standard it may be the whole valve body. Not machined right or what have you.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. allyner

allyner New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    American Standard shower Faucet leaking

Thanks Kingostall for your reply.

Since the valve is 12 years old and has functioned fine until recently, I suspect the problem is with an internal seal (but I'm guessing). Having replaced the ceramic cartridge, the only other part that I can find on the parts diagram is the "Pressure Balance Unit" which also appears to contain some O ring seals (I referred to the parts diagram for a model R 120, which this appears to be). Could leakage past one of those seals cause this kind of problem (dripping from the shower head)? Is there any way I can test or repair this without a total replacement of the pressure balance unit (the O rings don't seem to be available separetly, only come as a complete assembly with the PBU)?