American Standard Renu Stems/Valve Hammering

Users who are viewing this thread

thesuit6

Reaction score
I replaced two sets of American Standard Renu shower valves/stems because of leaking, but now there is incredible hammering/banging--far worse than a conventional water hammer--from each of the four new stems when each is turned on. I have tried all the 'tweaks' I can think of: tightening, loosening, adding a second metal washer between the seat and stem, and adding a rubber washer next to a single metal masher. Nothing helps.

My remaining suspicion is that I am not securing the seat within the pipe and it is 'pistoning' back and forth when water is turned on. In fact, other than screwing the seat onto the end of the valve (so that the metal washer is between the seat and the valve) I can see no other way of securing the seat in the pipe.

http://www.lasco.net/american-stand...zenid=r2mglph431d3evce3dudi75bh6#.VIRPqjHF98E

Below are pictures of the valve with just one washer, and with a metal and rubber washers:

IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks