American Standard Plebe - 4049 Tank to Bowl Gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian Webb

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I have three American Standard Plebe with 4049 Tanks. When I did work on the toilets, I tried to replace the tank to bowl gaskets with new universal ones. However, now the toilet tank rides high and is not sturdy. I have checked the American Standard Website and this model is outdated and no replacement parts are available. Is there a particular tank to bowl gasket that I need to replace the original gasket? Will a different universal model work?

Thanks,

plebe-wood-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I have found that as long as I am using the correct OEM or aftermarket tank-to-bowl gasket, I don't have an issue with tank wiggle. What I do if I'm worried about breakage from overtightening is have a helper put a lot of downward pressure on the tank -- with the tank lid off, of course -- while I alternately and evenly tighten the tank bolts until there is no tank movement. I've never broken a tank using this method.

That brings to mind a story that is now funny to me. I am not a professional plumber, but I have probably installed 100 or so toilets. A few years back, one of my aunts had a house fire and the toilet in her master bath was salvaged and reused. The contractors she hired to rebuild the house were obviously idiots. I saw many things that a novice DIYer would have known to do or not to do. Anyway, they did not reseat her master bath toilet correctly. There was wax oozing out from underneath and, from the smell, sewer gas was obviously leaking. As I repaired it for her and was tightening the bowl-flange bolts, I was thinking that considering my lack of pro experience, I had never cracked a bowl. At that exact moment, I cracked hers. In my defense, it was a cheap, lightweight off brand that I had never heard of, but it still wasn't funny at the time.

In her main hallway bath, the so-called contractors had secured the bowl to the flange bolts with only the plastic retainer washers and the nuts. I seriously wonder if they were legit.

Everyone enjoy your week. Here in Middle Tennessee, we'll have single digit temperatures starting tomorrow night. Gotta love it!

FarrellMackennon

Man of pipes
Reaction score
Website
londoncityplumbers.co.uk
'@Plumbsaway, I think yo should seriously think about going pro with the amount of experience you've had plumbing mate! Even if you did crack your aunt's toilet seat! Haha! Every plumber has probably had their own mishaps (or two) so it's best to have a laugh about it and move on :) But back to @Brian's original question, sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling around to get the right fit. Best check with your hardwre store for the right tools to get the job done.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
'@Plumbsaway, I think yo should seriously think about going pro with the amount of experience you've had plumbing mate! Even if you did crack your aunt's toilet seat! Haha! Every plumber has probably had their own mishaps (or two) so it's best to have a laugh about it and move on :) But back to @Brian's original question, sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling around to get the right fit. Best check with your hardwre store for the right tools to get the job done.
It wasn't the seat. It was the base of the bowl. It IS funny. Now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks