American Standard FloWise Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Handylady

Reaction score
Dear Terry:

I've reviewed your report on toilets. Did the FloWise (model 249216) not make it into your recommendations because of it's performance, or because it is a newer toilet, not yet rated? My city has it on their appoved list of high efficiency toilets, eligible for rebate, and evidently rates as "900" for waste removal performance. Would like your comments if you've any experience with it. Thanks!:D

Handylady

Reaction score
oops - model no. is 2479.216

sorry for the typo - the toilet I am asking about is model 2479.216, American Standard. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Flowise has the Flush Tower that is being recalled. No plumber, knowing this, would want to install and warranty something like that.

Last edited:

Handylady

Reaction score
Terry - :eek: So glad I asked!! I'm amazed - cities all over the place are recommending the installation of this toilet, and in all the advertising for the toilet, I haven't seen one word about this! Will go back to your recommendations, and look for a HEF/dual flush model . . . for bone dry So. Calif. Thanks again for your response.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd make the rebate a secondary issue and look for a toilet that performs well. There's no way to tell what the bureaucrats that made the list were looking at, or how much real knowledge about toilets they actually have. Does the list have any Toto models? It would be hard to go wrong with any Toto. A toilet is usually a once-in-a-lifetime purchase and you sure want one that will perform well.

SamC

Reaction score
Some HET lists include both Dual-Flush and 1.28 Gal. models. Check your list for the Toto Aquia dual-flush or the Toto Eco-Drake 1.28 Gal.

Handylady

Reaction score
Thanks, all . . . Yes, the rebate is secondary, but hey, I want it ALL, :D if it's out there. Found the Aquia on the list. NO DEALERS ANYWHERE here have them in stock - and I am told it will be 20 WEEKS before Toto can supply. Too bad I'm not closer to Seattle!

So, back I went to the list, and found also the EcoDrake, but did not see that in Terry's review. I saw one post today in the Toilet Forum from someone who feels the EcoDrake works as well as the Drake. Terry, do you agree? How is the bowl washing?

I, like most other folks, want to stay as close as possible to the $300. mark. Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Either the 1.6 or 1.3 Drake would be an excellent choice. Terry has reported that the 1.3 flushes on a par with the 1.6.

Handylady

Reaction score
Thanks much for your response, Gary. Will see if I can hunt down the little Drake. And, will report back to post my own opinion of it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all toilets are created equal! Personally, pressure assist toilets are an annoyance to me...I don't like the noise, startle factor, splash (sometimes - depends on the design, not all are good), or the increased maintenance. A well designed gravity system is nearly foolproof, doesn't shread the paper and stool, or splash things.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When a seal on a pressure assist goes, you can't flush it unless maybe you pour a bucket of water in. Generally, the parts are more expensive when that does happen, and may not be as readily available, keeping the thing out of commission longer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks