American Standard Champion 4 1.6gpf vs 1.28 gallons (2 piece)

Users who are viewing this thread

Wolfe44

Reaction score
Hi all, I've searched and searched and can not find the answer to this question. Perhaps somebody here knows!

I live in Commiefornia and can not purchase a new 1.6 gallon per flush Champion 4 toilet because of the 1.28 gallon requirement. I have one of the elongated bows, right height models and LOVE it. So obviously I want a couple more.

Since I can not get anybody to ship one to me, What is the difference between the two models parts wise? Is it JUST the flush valve? In other words, if I purchase one of the 1.28 gallon models, can I simply and easily switch out the flush valve ($25 roughly) to turn it into the 1.6 gallon model?

Could I just purchase the bowl and the reservoir from separate vendors? Will nobody ship a 1.6 gallon reservoir to CA?

Final question, and thanks to anybody helping: Is the Home Depot or Lowes Exclusive models any different from thee models sold elsewhere? They look the same and are ~$100 cheaper but have different model numbers and come with toilet seats, but I haven't been able to figure out any differences.

Thanks in advance!
Wolfe44

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The 1.28 and 1.6gpf Totos flush basically the same. People who have both versions of the same model (e.g. the Original Drake), can't tell the difference in normal usage.

I don't know if the Champion is the same.

As to the Lowe's and HD models, different channels often sell the same product for different prices. There is a rumour that the HD versions of the AS stuff are sometimes not quality-controlled as well as the ones that go to your plumber, but I really have never seen any definitive teaching on the subject. AS's quality control used to be below-par, although it may be improving in the past year or so.

The Toto Entrada and Toto Drake II are 1.28gpf, right-height toilets that flush exceptionally well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks