American Standard ceramic disc cartridge leaking at valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Beaglebuddy

Reaction score
The customer's son had disassembled the valve and replaced the cartridge twice but it continued to drip from the cartridge where the o rings mate up with flat surface on the valve body, a steady drip ran down the wall and dripped thru the ceiling in the kitchen below oddly only when the valve was turned on.
I replaced the cartridge with one of mine but as the drip continued I tightened the three screws until the cartridge finally cracked with a loud noise.
OK plan B, I knew that on this road the water company had sent out notices in the last year that they had increased the pressure and everyone should have a PRV installed in fact I had a Grohe kitchen faucet down the street that was leaking because of this.
The pressure was 85 PSI so I installed a PRV and guess what? At 50 PSI it still leaks just the same.
Could it be that the cartridge was damaged from the high pressure? Someone else must have had this problem. I really don't want to cut the valve out of the wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is this the new American Standard cartridge, or the very old one?
I don't think it's the pressure. It should have handled 85 PSI.

It may be a leaking cartridge or the pressure balancing unit. Please contact our customer care line at 800-442-1902 for parts assistance. American Standard

Last edited:

Beaglebuddy

Reaction score
Older one but not too old, like this one,

Probably 15 or 20 years old, not too common for me at least.
Had the lever handle and a sort of smallish escucion plate with two screws, pressure balancer is behind the cartridge.

4692.prd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Beaglebuddy

Reaction score
85 PSI is not that much but I had a similar problem down the road with a $500 Grohe German made kitchen faucet. The quick coupler between the spray hose and the faucet body dripped and Grohe said it was rated at 80 PSI max, at 85 PSI it leaked and a PRV solved the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks