American Standard Cadet Model 1674/1675

Users who are viewing this thread

jondak4x4

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a problem with an American Standard Cadet Pressure Balance Bath/Shower installation that I'm doing for my sister-in-law. The hot water flow is just a trickle. Here's the whole story.

1. The original supply lines did not have any shut-off valves. I installed a compression valve on each line.
2. Upon completion of the installation, there was plenty of cold water but only a trickle of hot water.
3. I took the valve off to check for debris in the valve or manifold. There was nothing.
4. I switched the hot/cold line inputs to the valve. I still got plenty of cold through the hot side, and only a trickle of hot through the cold.
5. I unhooked the hot water line from the valve and then turned it on. There is plenty of pressure.

The only thing that I can figure out is maybe the pressure in the cold feed line versus the hot feed line is so different that it causes the pressure balance valve to effectively shut off the hot side. It's got me baffled.

Any ideas?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That sounds baffling.
If you have even pressure on both inlets, it should be giving you a good mix.

I can't find you part numbers on the A/S site.
They seem to be HD part numbers.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The pressure balancing valve is hanging up. Am. Std. is not a favorite with me.

jondak4x4

Reaction score
So is there a way of getting at the pressure balancing valve, or correcting it? The schematic that came it with shows the valve, but no way of remomoving it. Thanks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The last one I worked on had just a large screwdriver slot to undo the cap. Given the hard water conditions that didn't happen and they now have a much better valve in its place. Sometimes a thump on the valve may free it up.

It was one of the least repair friendly valves I have ever seen! Allen screws would have made a world of difference.

Last edited:

ttamnoswad

Reaction score
non-pressure balance type shower valves ?

Redwood,

I just joined this forum to ask you a question! I too had the above mentioned cadet #1674. I am new to pressure balancing valves via my foray into property management and amateur land-lording. I just installed the valve and if the hot water is shut off at the tank ( replacing tank) the shower valve will not work at all even just for cold water. Is this unavoidable, are there non-pressure balance type shower valves available anymore?

You said that you replaced the cadet with a better one........which one? I prefer the type that lifts and swivels or 2 handled models. I would like to choose one good model that I will install in all my units to keep future maintenance predicable.

In need of experts opinion. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks