American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

Users who are viewing this thread

hsedin

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster after reading through this thread:

Just had the cadet 3 (2 piece- round front) installed and noticed that the water level in the bowl itself (is that term "water spot"? it's not the water level in the tank) is quite a bit lower than I am used to in other toilets we have around the house (also American Standard). Seems like the water just barely covers the "hole" and comparing to the other picutre on page 2 of this thread it definitely is much much lower. I was wondering if that is normal for the cadet 3? As a total novice, I understand there is no way to adjust that level and am I basically stuck with this very lower water spot, being that my cadet 3 might have a defect? Otherwise, if flushes and refills very well.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Tomw

DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster after reading through this thread:

Just had the cadet 3 (2 piece- round front) installed and noticed that the water level in the bowl itself (is that term "water spot"? it's not the water level in the tank) is quite a bit lower than I am used to in other toilets we have around the house (also American Standard). Seems like the water just barely covers the "hole" and comparing to the other picutre on page 2 of this thread it definitely is much much lower. I was wondering if that is normal for the cadet 3? As a total novice, I understand there is no way to adjust that level and am I basically stuck with this very lower water spot, being that my cadet 3 might have a defect? Otherwise, if flushes and refills very well.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the toilet is not refilling properly. Your water spot should look something like this:

attachment.php

If not, the toilet is not refilling properly. Look for the white tube in the picture below. It must be inserted into the overflow tube (the large white tube with the blue top) and not kinked. When you toilet flushes, a stream of water comes out of this tube when the tank is refilling to refill the bowl. Watch a flush with the lid off to be sure this is happening.

attachment.php

Last edited:

hsedin

Reaction score
Thanks a million Tomw- indeed the white tube was NOT inserted into the overflow tube, now my toilet's water spot looks pretty much like the picture as shown (still a tad lower from what I can see).

I noticed that according to the instructions- the water level should be 3/8 (?Inch) below the over flow tube. Mine was installed (by what I now realize is an amateur "plumber" about 1 inch below. I tried to turn the Water Level Adjustment rod but it seems like the top end of it is clamped and won't budge, do I need to move it "out" of the top clamp?

I wasn't realy sure what the instructions meant by turning the rod and moving the FLOAT CUP up or down (please pardon my stupidity), do they mean while I turn the rod, I have to move the cup up (as I want a higher water level) at the same time?

Thanks again in advance

Tomw

DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Thanks a million Tomw- indeed the white tube was NOT inserted into the overflow tube, now my toilet's water spot looks pretty much like the picture as shown (still a tad lower from what I can see).

I noticed that according to the instructions- the water level should be 3/8 (?Inch) below the over flow tube. Mine was installed (by what I now realize is an amateur "plumber" about 1 inch below. I tried to turn the Water Level Adjustment rod but it seems like the top end of it is clamped and won't budge, do I need to move it "out" of the top clamp?

I wasn't realy sure what the instructions meant by turning the rod and moving the FLOAT CUP up or down (please pardon my stupidity), do they mean while I turn the rod, I have to move the cup up (as I want a higher water level) at the same time?

Thanks again in advance

This adjustment is really not critical - you just want to make sure that your level is not so high that it overflows into the overflow tube (in this case, your water will never shut off) or too low and getting an inadequate amount of water for your flush. The 3/8" adjustment American Standard suggests is most likely the level that will give you exactly 1.6 gal (or 1.28 gal) depending on which toilet you have. Right now, you are getting a little less water, but if you are happy with the flush performance - why fool with it?

If you want to adjust it, you just grab the adjustment knob with your fingers (it is knurled) and turn it. It has click detents, so it will not turn easily. Be sure that the adjustment is not at one end or the other of the adjustment range (you should be able to see threads on the adjustment screw). Once you hit the end of the adjustment range, you will not be able to turn it further without breaking something. If you turn it clockwise, it will raise the water level.

Don't worry about what the float is doing while you adjust it, it will not matter. Flush the toilet and make sure the level is where you want it.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Nice to see demand for the luxury race spec. version is still going strong.

It's more for the North-East professional really and not for those of us out in Flagstaff, AZ still using the "dunny".

My Cadet 3 just will not die.

It continues to amaze me.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
attachment.php

I'm amazed at this too. This worked for years without a problem.
That's my younger brother Shannon.

Both the outhouse and the Cadet 3 work well. I give them the same rating.
The quality is bout the same.

Last edited:

davesyo

Reaction score
I installed an american standard champion toilet for a lady last week and I don't see where it flushes any better than the cadet. I also think I may like the flapper flush vs the champions flush tower for some reason.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
That roof actually will last through winds better, and longer than the garbage asphalt shingles they sell and put on roofs these days.

Between that mold that grows on them along with the damn "no glue" backsides that allow them to break off,

It's no different than the job security ploys we are all victimized by. Damn I know I'm getting old; everything a damn conspiracy to get my money.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Champion I installed did poorly with the water level adjusted down.

Not really an adjustment, the mechanism started to wear a little and less water was dropping from the tank.
It wouldn't flush a hot dog before the tank was finally replaced.
It was an object of derision until it was replaced.

It was funny though, you would go into the bathroom, and a hotdog would be sitting in the bowl, and sitting and sitting.

Tomw

DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
The Champion I installed did poorly with the water level adjusted down.

Not really an adjustment, the mechanism started to wear a little and less water was dropping from the tank.
It wouldn't flush a hot dog before the tank was finally replaced.
It was an object of derision until it was replaced.

It was funny though, you would go into the bathroom, and a hotdog would be sitting in the bowl, and sitting and sitting.

Wow! That's quite a story.

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, it was funny.
I think it was Brian's idea to put the hot dog there.
I'm surprised his German Shepard didn't find it there.

He's now living in Ellensburg and doing remodel work.

Tomw

DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Yes, it was funny.
I think it was Brian's idea to put the hot dog there.
I'm surprised his German Shepard didn't find it there.

He's now living in Ellensburg and doing remodel work.

Just curious - Why would you replace the tank? That seems pretty drastic.

davesyo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if any of the kohler toilets at home depot flush just as well as the cadet or did I make the right choice buying the cadet ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well, I wouldn't have bought either the Cadet or the Kohler.
But then I'm a plumber.

I already have to get rid of the Kohler I installed for my daughter.
I installed the Toto in her main bath, and now she wants the rest of the toilets changed out to Toto.
But if you are a gambler, which I'm not, you should be fine.

Last edited:

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cadet 3 install problem

Hello, I'm having a slight problem with the installation of my new American Standard Cadet 3 toilet. The holes for mounting the tank on the bottom of the tank seem to be spaced slightly wider than the corresponding holes on the back of the bowl. When I mount the tank the screws holding the tank become towed in a little bit. This causes the 1/2" head on the screws to sit at an angle on the rubber washer sealing the hole. The screw on the right of the tank dosen't seem to lean so much and seals okay. The one on the left leans 10-20 degrees and prevents the washer from sealing. I've tightened the screw as much as I dare without breaking something. It still leaks. I drained the tank and completely removed and repositioned it with the same result. Anybody else had this problem? Why would the holes not be the same width apart? Could this be a defect with this particular toilet? Surveyor

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28061

I had this problem once, years ago. The wrong bowl in the right box.

It could also be a defect when Juan was drilling the holes lol (too much tequila)
Krow
Return the toilet, get a new one, and check at the store that it will work.
What you have is defective and should not be installed.
Terry

attachment.php

The black rubber on the Cadet 3 Flapper starts to blister, this one is six months old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They aren't known for their quality control...take it back and try again, or pick a different brand altogether. Without measuring, you don't know if the tank is off or the bowl is, so you may need to take both back unless you want to make two trips...one to measure what they have to find somethign that will fit, and another to bring back either the bowl or tank. Course you could hump both pieces back...

Noddaplumber

Reaction score
I'm no expert on toilets, if anyone hasn't figured it out by my user ID. ;)

Anyhoo, I had a Cadet 3 installed last month and a Champion 4 installed in January. I love my Champion 4. It's the best toilet I have ever seen, IMO. I hate my Cadet 3. It's tiny, puny, and the itty bitty tank sits on rubber gaskets so the whole thing rocks terribly. The flush is pathetic too. I keep an auger by the commode in case it clogs up.

Toto offers an amazing product line from what I hear. But I can't afford to spend a mortgage payment on a toilet right now. In a couple of years when I remodel, I want Toto products in both bath rooms.

Just an opinion from an average home owner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks