American Standard Cadet 3 flushing problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Lawdog

Reaction score
When we had our bathrooms remodeled in 2007 we wanted the taller toliets that could flush almost anything. Our contractor suggested the A.S. Cadet 3. Well, before they were finished with the second bathroom one of the workers saw a plunger in the finished bathroom and asked why. When I told him the toliet doesn't flush all the time he said that was crazy and he suggested some folks from A.S. should be contacted and come to verify....RIGHT...Well, almost 4 years later, the second Cadet 3 won't flush even a single piece of paper, much less pepper. The original one flushes after the second or third time, if I hold the handle down. I called A.S. and they are sending two new flush valves. I have a strong feeling that ain't gonna cut it. My question is...is there anything I can do? The water kinda swirls in the bowl but it won't remove the waste or clean water in the bowl. Also, as a result, I have big time staining in both bowls despite using every cleaner I can find. :mad:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While those aren't the greatest toilets, just swirling around inplies something may be caught in the trap...missing any toy soldiers or similar?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Cadet 3 is a pretty good flusher. It is quite likely you have a clog...in the toilet itself or the drain line

Lawdog

Reaction score
I guess. But, I don't know for sure. However, each time I plunge it it seems to go down. It's certainly possible but it hasn't worked solidly since it was first installed. Secondly, I would agree except that the other one is starting to behave just like it. Is the flush valve a proper start or just something that A.S. just sends as a protocol? Thanks for the help, this is really frustrating...

Lawdog

Reaction score
I really don't think there is a clog in the stack because the other toilet still mostly works. I suppose I could run a snake through there and see what that does.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most clogs aren't complete - they let some (at least water) through. So, depending on what's been run down the drain recently, if there's no room for the crud to run out of the toilet...it will just sit there and swirl. It doesn't take much to clog a toilet. They are only designed to flush stuff that has been run through you, and anything else is suspect. A toothbrush, hair pin, toy, cotton swab, feminine product, comb, etc. can all easily block enough to cause problems. Sometimes you need a toilet auger to try to clean it out...sometimes, you have to pull the toilet and attack it from the other end. If it's something like a crayon or pencil, liquids will pass, but when you add paper and solids, they get hung up.

Reaction score
Pulling a toilet yourself isn't that difficult and it is inexpensive. Have a proper wax seal handy and maybe some new bolts/washers if the old ones are in sorry shape. If you don't find any problems then at least you know it isn't something in the trap or the drain. Any chance of vent stack problems?

Is this on septic or municipal sewer? Any issues with slow draining showers/tubs, etc?

Was the toilet that had trouble first on a lower level than the one that is now having trouble?

Is any of the plumbing old cast iron or any chance that the line to the street has roots in it? I ask all of this because I've had to chase around various problems like this in older rental homes I lived in. I had issues with rust blocking drain lines, interfering with the vent lines, and roots and foreign objects (rubber ducky, paratrooper) in the line running through the yard. If you have to bring someone out to auger lines, pay them to do everything (including the vent stacks) while they are there, won't add much to the bill from what I've seen since much of it was the call itself. Start with the farthest away from the main and move toward it, flushing with copious amounts of water in each cleared area to move dislodged gunk out of the lines in the home. If instead you focus on just a perceived problem area you will likely be paying for another call in a few months or a year in other areas (been there, done that.)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It doesn't take much to slow down a siphon.
I would guess that there is something in the trapway.

Even something like Q-Tips could do it.

Lawdog

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the advice. It appears from all the professionals that I probably do have a clog somewhere. The house is 30 years old an has a PVC stack. The two toilets I refer to are on the second floor. We are on a municipal sewer system. We have never had an issue with the main floor or basement toilets, nor with any of the shower/bath drains. When Qtips where mentioned, I started thinking that one of my kids uses the one toilet as a makeshift trash can. I assume that the best way to start is to run a snake through. I am good at some things but I have never replaced a toilet before.

Lawdog

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied. It turns out we have hard water and calcium had built up on the siphon jet. All fixed now. :D

Lawdog

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied. It turns out we have hard water and calcium had built up on the siphon jet. All fixed now.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
And send a bigger thank you to American Standard that gave you 2 new valves.

They sent me free flapper sets after 15 years on one piece savoy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks