American Standard Accelerator Flush Valve leaking

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by peripateo, Aug 2, 2012.

1. peripateo

peripateo New Member

Hey everyone, I have an accelerator flush valve that appears to be leaking. When I press down on the top of the valve where the chain attaches, the leak stops. So it appears to not be making a water-tight seal. Any suggestions? Haven't seen this before.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    It sounds like you need a new seal. Those sometimes get blisters.

An accelerator?, More like a reducing funnel. It goes into a 3" hole.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Hi. Someone had the same problem a while back, and I laid out all the information they needed to get back in business, and they got the problem fixed. I told them in detail what product to get and where to get it.

Take a look at posts 12 and 14 by me, and the picture in post 15, in the following thread: http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?18981-Lawsuit-or-Recall-of-Am-Standard-Champion-toilets

Let us know if we can help in any other way

(Terry, at least when he tells us "Accelerator", we know he doesn't have the tower flush. ;) ) [I wonder if there are any consumers out there who were mislead by the alleged "4-inch" flush valve, which is actually 3 inches. I have never done a class action suit (actually, maybe years ago we had one that was going there, but it settled), but it might be fun!]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  5. peripateo

peripateo New Member

Thanks Terry and wjcandee! I replaced the seal with a Korky and it stopped the leaking. The original seal had begun to blister as you showed in the picture, wjcandee.

6. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Fantastic! I'm so happy to hear that it worked out. Now you're good for five years, or, if not, you can call Korky and they'll send you a new one.