American Standard 2 knob faucet cartridge - tightening - valve open or closed?

Users who are viewing this thread

tom-rad

Reaction score
Replacing an American Standard cartridge with new Brass Craft replacement stem ST0332X. Instructions say hand tighten then 1/4 turn with wrench. But, would this be valve open or closed (with rubber seal compressed as if water was on (or valve open), or relaxed (as if the knob were off)? Thanks very much.

tom-rad

Reaction score
One more question....the instructions print (in bold): DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. I greased the thing (with plumber's grease), tightened as tight as I could with my fingers, then approx. 1/4 turn with wrench. Maybe slightly more than 1/4 turn, but not much. Is that typical? Approximate turn ok? I just don't want it blasting apart when I'm not home. Thanks again.

tom-rad

Reaction score
Yes, works fine. I wasn't sure how critical the stuff is, since it's brass (for example, would 1/2 turn actually fracture the brass and make it fail?) Or, does excess tightening cram the seat too close together so it won't work? The manufacturer, of course, doesn't go into detail as to why they caution about overtightening (don't blame them, but I'd love to know). I'm thinking it's because it reduces the clearance between the seat and stem. Tighten it too much, and no water will pass. Is that why they caution about overtightening?
Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the stem is closed when you screw it in and you tighten it too much, you can break the webbing in the valve that supports the seat. If that happens the faucet will not shut off. You could bust the cartridge or stem. You could strip the threads. Brass is soft and can be broken easily. It is not like the lug nuts on a wheel where you try to get them as tight as you can.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks