American plumber water softner

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Outside42, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Outside42

Outside42 New Member

May some info could help us ,we had water softener and neutralizer installed water was acidic also hard they said to use blue bag salt that's what we use the problem is the water taste like crap salty and nasty we had all our old pipes removed and replaced with pex what would you guys say thanx
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I would say something ain't working right.
  3. Outside42

Outside42 New Member

Where do I start
  4. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

Does it taste salty just after a regen? What is the hardness set at? How much water is in the brine tank?
  5. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

A softener should have a minimal affect of the tase of water. If you are getting a truly salty taste to the water, it should only occur after a regeneration if there is a problem with the softener and should clear up after running the water for a short amount of time. if you get salty water in the water heater, it will take considerably longer to get that cleared due to dilution issues. If your system produces salty water, you have a problem. Extended salty taste out of a softener would usually indicate a bad or missing riser o-ring, or a short manifold assembly.

We need more information to help you. A picture of the unit, water source (well or municipla), how old the unit is etc.

Hope this helps!
  6. Outside42

Outside42 New Member

It is a well .always salty taste and has a metal taste .nutr.is w 4 15a nf. Softener is w 430 f. Both American plumber

Attached Files:

7. ditttohead

Always salty water from a well fed softener would probably be the well and not the softener. If a softener malfunctions and causes salty water, that will go away fairly quickly. Try bypassing the softener and see if anything changes.
  8. Outside42

Outside42 New Member

Did bypass water taste like well um water
  9. ditttohead

Do you have a water report? Calcite and corosex can give the water a mineraly taste, even metallic. The softener adds sodium to the water in place of the Calcium, magnesium, etc. It takes a lot of sodium in the water to afffect taste.

Did they put the neutalizer before or after the softener?

What water testing equipment do you have? TDS meter, hardness test? anything?
  10. Outside42

Outside42 New Member

Yes I just sent it out .I know it was hard water with lots of magnesium should I try by passing water softner and only use nutrilzer ? I know we keep using salt and I put calcite in nutrilzer 6 months ago