American or foreign made?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by enviroko, Apr 2, 2007.

1. enviroko

enviroko New Member

Hi, I'm looking at buying either a Kohler Cimerron, Eljer Titan or Toto Drake. I'd like to buy American. I know the Eljer is American made but anyone know about the other two? Also which would be best for a fairly small space?

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Toto Ultramax

TOTO manufactures many of their products in America
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2009
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Today, I'm not sure you can safely say any of them are made here...they may be designed here, but that may not be a factor. The Toto has a factory in (I think) GA, but depending on the model, some parts may come from other places. With today's economy, there just aren't that many totally made in America products as one would think.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Everything is made everywhere nowadays.

American Standard, US, Mexico, Brazil
    Cimarron has been made in Mexico.
    Toto, USA, Japan, Vietnam, China
    Most of the one-piece I get from Toto are US.
    Gerber, USA, China

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  4. enviroko

enviroko New Member

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It changes all the time, but looking at my stock right now, this is some of what I have from the US.

TOTO MS853113S, USA
    TOTO MS854114S, USA
    TOTO MS854114SG, USA
    TOTO MS854114SL, USA
    TOTO MS604114CEFG, USA
    TOTO MS964214CFG, USA
    TOTO MS974224CFG, USA
    TOTO CST764SG, USA
    GERBER 21-302, USA/China
    GERBER 21-312, USA/China
    GERBER 21-318 USA/China

[​IMG]
    Toto Ultramax

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  6. enviroko

enviroko New Member

Thank You!
  7. JohnD

JohnD New Member

The round front Cimmaron uses less space the the Eljer Titan, I'm not familiar with the Toto Drake, someone else could probably tell you the dimensions.
  8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

sad fact of life:

It is a big world. It is very difficult to make a widget in this country paying a loaded payroll cost of $20+++ per hour, paying $7 per HCF for water, follow EPA pollution rules, etc. and sell that at a price that can compete with one made where a zero is removed from the labor cost, water is free, and no one gives a bleep about pollution.

One example I love to quote: I have noticed all the large manhole covers here in the city of San Diego are "Made in India". So they can cast that 400 pound behemoth over there, and ship it all the way over here, and do it cheaper than buying it from a foundry an hour up the road in LA County.

Price drives everything. We all spout platitudes about how we are willing to PAY for QUALITY. But, when we are the owner/contractor/builder/john q. homeowner, the bottom line seems to always influence our choices. We.....the American consumer.....have created our own nightmare!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2009