Am I laying this full bath out right

Users who are viewing this thread

Spider

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put a full bath in the basement and want to double check my drain plumbing layout before busting up the concrete, so I'd appreciate any advice. I've attached the overhead view of my floor plan and a crude isometric of the plumbing.

I'm wondering if the line between the toilet drain and the connection between the shower and sink is necessary or if I can just make the connection to the left of the sink to the 3 inch toilet drain which continues off drawing to connect to the main waste line? I basically copied this design from the complete guide to home plumbing book. Thanks for any advice.

BasementLayout.PNGBasementDrain.jpg

Spider

Reaction score
Hopefully these picks will help clear it up a little. The first is the same layout as my plans from the complete guide to home plumbing book. The second is more of an overhead view showing the 3 inch toilet drain continuing back to an existing line in the floor. I'm wondering if I need the second connection, marked, between the 2 inch and 3 inch lines? Any idea what it's for? Thanks again.

CG2HP-pic2.jpgMPL-pic2.jpg

Spider

Reaction score
The toilet CANNOT have a trap, and the sink/shower drain cannot connect in two places.

So, according to this I need to get rid of that extra connection like below, right? Any idea why the setup in that book would have two connections? I'm pretty handy, but have limited plumbing experience. I thought maybe it had something to do with proper venting. Thanks again for the response guys.

MPL-pic3.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That book is well known to show things that do not meet code in most places.
The number one offense is that no part of a dry vent can be horizontal for any distance until it is at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture being served by the vent.

Spider

Reaction score
That book is well known to show things that do not meet code in most places.
The number one offense is that no part of a dry vent can be horizontal for any distance until it is at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture being served by the vent.

Does that mean the toilet vent shown in the picture would not meet code since it comes up at a 45 then makes a horizontal run to the wet wall? Now I'm wondering if my design is all wrong. Should I have one drain line running under the wet wall and if I did that how would I vent the toilet? I thought I read somewhere that the toilet drain has to be vented before tying into any wet drain. Could I run the toilet drain to the wet wall and use a 4 way fitting to vent at the connection point? Should I be doing something like this instead?

MPL-pic4.jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The drawing in the book would be better if they had the sink teed into the vent, as it's vent would also serve as a wet vent for the water closet.

The fittings shown are wrong as the below grade fitting must be wyes, not tees.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hopefully these picks will help clear it up a little. The first is the same layout as my plans from the complete guide to home plumbing book. The second is more of an overhead view showing the 3 inch toilet drain continuing back to an existing line in the floor. I'm wondering if I need the second connection, marked, between the 2 inch and 3 inch lines? Any idea what it's for? Thanks again.

View attachment 24323View attachment 24324

What in the hell is that mess, LOL Almost nothing there is correct and no, you don't either need or want that but then again, you don't want most of it.

Vents can't be horizontal until they are 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served.

Sanitary Tee's can't be horizontal when receiving the discharge from fixtures.

90 degree short or medium radius elbows can't be horizontal when receiving the discharge from fixtures and that crossover pipe can never be....

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Any idea why the setup in that book would have two connections?

Probably because whoever wrote was a devotee of the "anyone can do plumbing" school of thought. But if he was, he failed the school. That is only the most egregious error. HE cannot have sanitary tees in the horizontal line or the toilet flat vent. The best idea would be to burn the book and start over with a "good" design. Few things about your drawing are 'good'.

Spider

Reaction score
quote; Any idea why the setup in that book would have two connections?

Probably because whoever wrote was a devotee of the "anyone can do plumbing" school of thought. But if he was, he failed the school. That is only the most egregious error. HE cannot have sanitary tees in the horizontal line or the toilet flat vent. The best idea would be to burn the book and start over with a "good" design. Few things about your drawing are 'good'.

I'm glad I only paid $4 for the book and even more so that I asked you guys to check my layout before busting up concrete. I'm wondering if the inspectors even looked at my plumbing drawings before issuing my permits.

So back to the drawing board, how does this design look? I'll use wyes to connect the shower drain to the toilet drain to the lavatory/main drain. I'll also use wyes on their backs to connect the shower and water closet vents at the points shown. I'll use a long sweep 90 to connect the vertical lavatory drain to horizontal and a closet bend to connect the toilet vertical to horizontal. Does that sound right?

Thanks again to everyone here for helping me through this.

MPL-pic6.jpg

Last edited:

Spider

Reaction score
I finally got my inspection with the last design I posted and passed. Thanks for all the advice and for steering me away from that crazy design I started with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks