Am I going to poison my dogs?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Jonathan Kozolchyk, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Jonathan Kozolchyk

Jonathan Kozolchyk New Member

Hi Folks,

I made a simple water fountain for my dogs using a small fountain pump and "utility grade" copper tubing (3/8" OD) that I bought from Lowes. Is Utility Grade copper tubing safe for potable water? I didn't solder anything, just bent the pipe to get it out of the way and put a fitting on it to keep the sharp ends out of puppy reach.

Here's a picture of the fountain (don't laugh at the bends! it gets the job done!):

photo (5).jpg

Thanks!
  2. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

poison? no. electrocute or kill them if the pump should fail? possibly. i would have the plump plugged into a GFCI outlet to be safe, if not just abandon the idea. Why is it needed?
  3. Jonathan Kozolchyk

Jonathan Kozolchyk New Member

Thanks Chad! I have the pump plugged into a GFCI outlet. I don't know why, but the dogs like moving water. There are many similar fountains on the market, but they're all a pain to clean. My home made one is a lot easier to maintain.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Copper is copper, the difference in grades refers to the wall thickness of the tubing, NOT the material it is made of.
  5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

My dog drinks out of the toilet whether the water is moving or not
  6. kreemoweet

kreemoweet Member

quote; "refrigeration" grade where the tubing is
    cleaned, filled with moisture-free gas, and plugged, so as to avoid contamination of the refrigerant used in A/C&Refrig. machinery.

It is also to prevent oxidation inside the tubing which could damage the components.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; My dog drinks out of the toilet

ANd he doesn't complain about you sitting on his water fountain?
  8. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Nah, he's old and senile