Am I going to have trouble installing my Toto Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

geepondy

Reaction score
Bathroom is being remodeled and probably tomorrow Toto Drake will be installed. The flange is cemented to the PVC pipe, the floor built up to be pretty level with the flange and contractor says he'll attached the ring to the floor wood surrounding the flange and then attach toilet (with wax ring) and then bolt down to ring. Sounds pretty straight forward except I was chatting on another forum with an alledged master plumber and mentioned I bought a Toto and asked for his opinion and here's what he replied.

"Toto's are nice toilets. Their installation is a little unusual as they use an offset flange that bolts down first, then you set the toilet on that. The only downside is the flange leaves holes in the floor, so you're pretty much stuck with that toilet so long as that floor is down. They also have a larger footprint that can be a problem if the stop valve is too close."

Am I going to have any unforeseen problems installing this toilet? I guess I don't quite understand what he's getting at in his discussion of the toilet using an offset flange and the fact I'm stuck with that toilet. I hope I have been misinformed.

TedL

Reaction score
Certain Toto models can use a "unifit" to change the rough in from 12" to 10 or 14. That is essentially an offset. The Drake is not one of those. Check out the unifit models at the totousa.com site.

geepondy

Reaction score
Thank you Ted and Terry. As I came home from work, I see he has the toilet sitting down ok but alas the inlet pipe is about an inch short from reaching the toilet. I'm hoping he'll replace it with flexible piping.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A plumber would have had a water supply connector in the truck.
We always use new supplies on our installs. Even if the customer says what they have is new.
It's my garantee for the workmenship.
New install, new parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks