Am I being SCAMED? Can water PSI be read by a 266 Clamp Meter??

Users who are viewing this thread

penmo

Reaction score
I was told my water pressure is to low the plumber showed me a reading that dropped even lower when I looked at it, on a 266 Clamp Meter....he said, that tool cost $700.00. I looked it up they are about $20.00 He explained that a electrical charge runs thought the pipe and that is what it is reading. No where can I find this information on-line.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sounds like a scam to me.

To measure electrical. He's trying to tell people it does "pressure" ?
And what was going to be his charge to fix the non-issue? And would he even do anything other than bill you?

Auto shops used to ask if you wanted to check the "muffler bearings" on your car. If you said yes, they would add money to the bill.
Mufflers don't have bearings. They ask that to see if you know anything about cars.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any hardware store has gauge to measure water pressure. You just screw it on to a hose outlet and turn the faucet on. Now, water pressure can vary at different time of the day and on some water systems, but a gauge with a "tattle tale" will show that. I don't know the source of you water, but if it is a city utility, I would doubt the pressure is too low. The usual pressure problem is too much and that can be dealt with. Get new plumber, a real one.

C62ePuy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
80 PSI? Looks like he was scamming you, if there was any doubt. I wonder if the local police would care.

How much is too much. Mine is city supplied and is about 80 psi.
80 is where they draw the line. If I had water that stayed under 90, I would not install a PRV. That is not the official way.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
80 psi is at the outer limit, but it is really almost twice as much as you need. Here's the problem. Appliances like dishwashers, toilets, ice makers, and clothes washers rely on built in valves. The high pressure is hard on these valves. Not suggesting you get a PRV and reduce the pressure to 40 psi, you might want a bit more than that, but just something you might want to consider.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks