Am I asking for trouble with this fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stuart P.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. A friend directed me to this site for some possible help. I just had granite countertops installed and added a new faucet. I installed a Kohler faucet and the water lines appear to be proprietary to the water valve. Although the lines are long, the cold water line was about 2 inches too short and the Hot water line was about 3 inches too short. I went to my local Lowes and the guy there said the only thing they had was a 16 inch water line that had a regular hookup and a compression fitting that I could use on the end of each water line.

As you can see, I had to loop them around so the braided line did not kink. I can't help but think I'm asking for trouble here. It there a better way to do this? I don't want to even think about moving the valves.

Once I got it all back together, I manage to have one extremely slow leak that is not even in anything I touched. If you look at the last picture at the top pvc line coming out of the wall, you will see a drop of water clinging from it. I must have damaged it turning off the water. It seems to drip only a couple of drops per hour but a leak is a leak. It is coming from the cemented part and not the metal connector. Can I put some superglue or something on it to stop it? They did not leave enough extra to cut it off and rebuild it that I can see.

Pictures:

1. The cold water line looped line.

2. The hot water looped line.

3. The water leak

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• water1.jpg
    water1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 495
  • water2.jpg
    water2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 477
  • water3.jpg
    water3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 463

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I loop supply hoses all the time without any trouble. The only thing I would have done differently would be to use the stainless steel braided hoses, but what you have looks fine to me.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
leak a t pvc

teh stainless steel braided hoses with brass shanks are far better than the supply lines you installed, but they will work.

I have seen those plastic shanks actually spilt and break in time right at the connection to the stop. Also they have a tendency to swelll up over time

also you will probably have to get into major troubles trying to fix that pvc.

that is probably going to turn into worse that the original project.

I suppose you could try some epoxy on the joint, you will have tu turn off your water pressure and drain the piep down a bit.

then put the epoxy on the joint very thickly and let it set up overnight,
with no pressure on it, wait as long as you can then fill up the line and see if you won .

if not, then its gets real interesting.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1. I cannot see in the picture if the leak is where the valve is compression-attached to the pipe. If that is the case, a new valve will take care of it.

If the leak is at a joint in the pipe, you need to redo all that piping.

My standard procedure is that NOTHING applied to the outside of a pressurized pipe will keep water from leaking. Water is sealed with mechanical connections. While it is true that something like Rectorseal #400 epoxy will probably stick and stop the leak, the condition of the pipe is a big unknown. Is there a latent crack just waiting to let go?

BTW, on the vinyl connectors: some years ago they were made with a plastic fitting insert crimped to the hose. When this shank cracked it was "old faithful" right there under your sink! I believe everyone has responded to these call! Now, Brasscraft and others use a metal insert, so this does not happen. I still don't use them: I prefer the polymer braid over the SS braid, as it does not sweat.

Last edited:

Stuart P.

Reaction score
Well, I've heard enough that I'm going to get the steel braided hoses and replace the white one's I installed.

The leak is definitely where the pvc is glued. If you watch it, you can see it start to seep out on that end. It looks like it may have been leaking for quite a while. I put a cup under it and the cup had maybe two drops in it this morning. It appears that it is evaporating at almost the same rate it is leaking.

If I have a plumber come out (I'm not about to tackle this myself) what does a repair like this usually cost in your experience. I know you can't be exact, but ballpark.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks