Aluminum pipe wrenchs

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by billsnogo, Sep 23, 2006.

1. billsnogo

billsnogo wannabe plumber

Are they really worth it, or is just a luxury item? I am gathering my tools for my apprentice class and went to Harbor Freight. I am going there just because I am just starting and can upgrade as needed.

Anyways, they had aluminum pipe wrenchs there, and the prices were not too bad, and was wondering if it is really worth buying aluminum over the cast iron ones? I already have the cast iron up to 24", but have not really had to tote them around much since I am still a DIY until a shop hires me as an apprentice. Also, are the aluminum ones strong? They say HD aluminum and have a 48" wrench, and I wonder if they are more likely to snap.

thanks for taking the time to respond.
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

The only aluminum pipe wrenches that I think are worth a hoot are Ridged Brand.
  3. Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  4. billsnogo

billsnogo wannabe plumber

Thank you both, glad I asked here first.

MasterMark, are those ones on evilbay a good quality, or should I be on the lookout for RIDGID only?

thanks again! :)
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  5. rigid is the best

rigid is usually the absolute best

most everything else really doenst "feel right"

and most of them dont even grip right either....

eventally you will just throw them away
  6. kordts

kordts In the Trades

Go with Ridgid, Craftsman or Reed. Ridgid makes Craftsman. I finally broke down and bought a 10, 12, 14 and 18. The 10 and 12 stay in my bucket, the 14 and 18 come off the van when needed.