Aluminum Pipe Wrenches

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by dlarrivee, Feb 14, 2010.

1. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Thoughts or opinions on these?

I think beyond the weight savings, they'd be great because they wont rust if you end up working in a ditch or out in the rain.
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

They are twice as expensive to do the same job. I think the small ones are a wste of money though if you carry a bunch in the tool bag they sure save some weight. When we get into the 2' range though they are a lot easier on the muscles.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

if you use them all the time that is what you want...I haven't found any I like as well as Ridgid brand...the ones from china are junk...
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Reed makes a pretty good one and so does Lennox.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

lumnum

The new ones are similar in size to the forged steel ones, but I am not sure if they will take the same beatings. The original ones were so much bulkier that we never used them.
  6. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

From experience I can tell you that if you put a big cheater bar on an 18" aluminum the handle snaps clean off with disasterous results. Steel bends.
  7. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

I'm sure it says not to use a cheater bar on the tool anyways.
  8. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Yep, reading dem directions can sure save you a broken tool and 6 stitches to boot :)