Alternating Pumps vs. Primary and Backup

Users who are viewing this thread

YTJ79

Reaction score
I have an active sump pit attached to a footing drain - goes off 3-4 times per hour for ~20 seconds each time. Right now I have 2 Hydromatic SKV50 pumps with SJE Rhombus floats. It is currently wired with an alternator so they switch back and forth each time the pump goes off. The guy who is likely to service this system for me going forward suggested that instead I use a primary pump and a backup pump, the float for which would be set at a slightly higher water level than the primary pump to only go on if the primary fails. His rationale is that this would make the system a lot easier to maintain by avoiding all the wiring required for the alternating feature. He also suggested changing the switch to something that wouldn't ever get stuck (can't recall what, ball float maybe?).

I had called Hydromatic in the past and they said it was good that both pumps run regularly, so I am a bit concerned about having a backup that may not run for a year and then doesn't work when called upon. Our exterior footing drain is attached to a pit in the front yard which is not easy to access, so it would be hard to test the backup in between the annual maintenance calls. Does anyone have any strong opinions on whether having alternating pumps is worth the extra wiring complication vs. just a primary and a backup?

Thank you very much!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With water well pumps I prefer the primary/secondary type set up over an alternator. With an alternator you wear both pumps out at the same time and basically do not have a backup. But you do need to exercise the secondary pump once a week or so. I use a 7 day programmable timer like a sprinkler timer from Rainbird, Toro, Irritrol, etc. But instead of operating a solenoid valve, the timer operates a relay. In your case the relay could have one normally open and one normally closed set of contacts. That way you set the timer for once a week to switch primary/secondary pumps for just a couple hours. This will keep your secondary pump exercised without wearing it out. So when the first pump quits, the second pump doesn't have nearly the hours on it and will be a good backup as needed.

YTJ79

Reaction score
Thank you!

With water well pumps I prefer the primary/secondary type set up over an alternator. With an alternator you wear both pumps out at the same time and basically do not have a backup. But you do need to exercise the secondary pump once a week or so. I use a 7 day programmable timer like a sprinkler timer from Rainbird, Toro, Irritrol, etc. But instead of operating a solenoid valve, the timer operates a relay. In your case the relay could have one normally open and one normally closed set of contacts. That way you set the timer for once a week to switch primary/secondary pumps for just a couple hours. This will keep your secondary pump exercised without wearing it out. So when the first pump quits, the second pump doesn't have nearly the hours on it and will be a good backup as needed.
you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks