Alteration to Washer Stand Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jeffro626, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jeffro626

jeffro626 New Member

Hello, i am new to the forum and to blogging altogether. i have a very basic question, and if it is already been answered in the forum i apologize in advance. i was wondering if it is a bad idea to alter an existing stand pipe for a washing machine in order to bring the mouth closer to the edge of a counter. i am in an apartment, and my hose does not reach the wall. i roll my washer out when i use it and into a closet when i am done.

the pipe is in a recessed wall box and i would like to use pvc elbows/couplers attached to the mouth of the existing pipe to bring the drain out along the wall and out to where i can access it easily. i know the drain has to be 2" to be sure there is no overflow, but will curves cause a problem with drainage?

thanks!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I think it would be easier to add a section of hose to the washer...they usually can pump further and it would be a lot neater.
  3. jeffro626

jeffro626 New Member

i tend to agree, but i need to be able to disconnect the washer and roll away. the drain opening is not easily accessable (behind a dishwasher)
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Probably.......
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

How about a picture of this installation. Having a washing machine drain BEHIND a dishwasher is not something we see every day, or even every decade. What do you do for the water connections?