All plumbing just replaced... a few issues happening now... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

KaraKaraKara

Reaction score
Hi, I just had all of my plumbing replaced from polybutylene piping to PEX piping. The job as been complete for 4 days now.

First, after the job was done I noticed that the hot and cold water for the washing machine was reversed. The plumbers are coming back to fix that sometime this week, thank God.

Secondly, I've noticed that my water does not get as hot as it used to. Why could this be? It gets warmer then "luke warm" but it is still not as hot as it usually gets; it used to get to near scalding when left on for a period of time. Ideas?

Other info:
-the hot water feels the same temperature at all faucets
-I have a well

Jim Mills

Reaction score
Did the hot water heater get turned down? I will admit that I have turned a water heater down before to keep it from firing while working on it and "forgot" to turn it back up before I left. go see what it is set at & report back.

Oops...I'm assuming you have a gas fired water heater. If you have an electric water heater, you could have a bad element, or an electrical issue.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
To fix the washing machine you just need to switch where the hoses are connected. When plumbers set a hot water heater they set them at 120 degrees unless you ask them to set it hotter. Sometime they will not set them hotter than that for liability reasons. If you want it hotter you may have to do it yourself if they will not.

KaraKaraKara

Reaction score
Did the hot water heater get turned down? I will admit that I have turned a water heater down before to keep it from firing while working on it and "forgot" to turn it back up before I left. go see what it is set at & report back.

Oops...I'm assuming you have a gas fired water heater. If you have an electric water heater, you could have a bad element, or an electrical issue.

My water heater is electric and we believe that it is old (early 1990s?), but we have NEVER had a problem with it until now. We can't see where it has a temperature adjuster on it either, and we took off the two panels on it. Does every water heater ever made have one? Or do the older models not?

KaraKaraKara

Reaction score
Nevermind, a few yoga poses later, i found it... it was set btwn 140 and 150! So we turned it down to 120. So what other causes related to the changing of the pipes could result in the hot water being cooler then usual?

Jim Mills

Reaction score
Yeah, with an electric water heater, the setting is less likely to be tampered with by the plumbers, and your turning it down DEFINITELY wont make your water hotter. It's old enough that just "disturbing" it by redoing the plumbing could cause an element to go bad. Maybe the electrical was tampered with as well. Could be a loose wire. Maybe one leg of the breaker is bad. In other words, you need a plumber to help. Electric water heaters just aren't DIY friendly, and at nearly 20 years, you got your money's worth out of that water heater. Time for a new one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Could the dip tube have given up the ghost or become detached during the process?

Now, why would it do that?

The water heater was set for 140 to 150 and the water was only warm, so you turned it DOWN to 120? Sounds counter intuitive to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks