All of a Sudden - Water Hammer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Milanomike

Reaction score
Hi,

Left the house yesterday morning, all was well, daughter at home said no issues. I returned about 10 pm, flushed the main floor toilet and pipes started banging like I've never heard before. I think, but not sure yet, main floor toilet is most of the issue (Toto Drake).

Contractors are outside are installing new fiber optic cable in neighborhood, hard to see how this is related, but wanted to mention.

No changes to plumbing system other than new hot water heater ~3 months back.

Checked pressure at basement sink, have the 60 psi, assuming pressure regulator is good. Also, have an expansion tank at hot water heater (not new) but I think if it failed my pressure relief valve at hot water tank might seep.

Should I turn the water off and let system drain after opening all valves, flushing toilets? Never had an issue in 18 years at this house, house is entirely plumbed with copper pipe, etc.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the water hammer a single bang when the toilet fill shuts off, or something else?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

Milanomike

Reaction score
OK, also does the hammering with the toilet in the master bath. What the heck is going on here. I'll drain system later today and see what happens. What do you mean by angle stops? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think he means the right-angle valve for shutting off water to the toilet.

If only that toilet makes the chattering, I would replace that 18 year old fill valve.

Milanomike

Reaction score
OK, turned water off to the Toto, and flushed toilet, all is quiet, went upstairs and flushed master bath toilet, all is quiet. I'm thinking I need a new fill valve or something in the Toto? Reading that Lowes has these. Make sense?

Milanomike

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, took it apart and Lowes did not have replaceable top, but HD did. Also noted my flapper was shot. New stuff installed, need to wait for wife to stop running water to see if my 11 bucks fixed the problem. Thanks for all the help.

Milanomike

Reaction score
OK, all is well, did not know a defective fill valve could make pipes hammer like that. Thanks for the help looks like I'm good to go on this issue. Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks