All appliances are working properly but my outside pipe is overflowing!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

zsduncan

Reaction score
Hi my name is Zlata and I think I might be in some trouble here. There is no backup or overflowing inside my home but outside there is a pipe that overflows every time I take a shower or flush the toilet.

I tried using the snake on the outside pipe but nothing came out. I got it in there about 15 feet and it came out with nothing.

I dont have a septic tank and think I am on county water system.

Please help there is waste overflowing!!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a clog, and it could be much further away than the small snake you tried. A main line usually requires a pro to clean it out. It is not normal for it to overflow outside...normally, that pipe is sealed, so unless someone left a cap of, you may have a broken pipe (which could be the clog). Time for a pro, I think. Suggest you might avoid those with 'rooter' in the name.

zsduncan

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking. I was hoping it might be something I could fix though. Thanks for your response.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep You need a Plumber/Drain Cleaner to snake the line clear.
You have a clogged main sewer line.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is not a DIY job. It will take a HD industrial sized auger to clear the drain and even if you could find one, you would literally risk your life trying to use it. These things require a trained person to use. As others noted, it is very likely the cause is a broken pipe since that is about the only way drain water would escape the drain pipe and not overflow in the house. Sorry, there's no quick, easy DIY band aid fix.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; As others noted, it is very likely the cause is a broken pipe since that is about the only way drain water would escape the drain pipe and not overflow in the house.

It is more likely a cleanout opening with a missing cap or plug. The reason everything inside the house is working is BECAUSE the water is escaping outdoors.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks