All appliances are working properly but my outside pipe is overflowing!!!!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by zsduncan, Sep 23, 2010.

1. zsduncan

zsduncan New Member

Hi my name is Zlata and I think I might be in some trouble here. There is no backup or overflowing inside my home but outside there is a pipe that overflows every time I take a shower or flush the toilet.

I tried using the snake on the outside pipe but nothing came out. I got it in there about 15 feet and it came out with nothing.

I dont have a septic tank and think I am on county water system.

Please help there is waste overflowing!!!!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There is a clog, and it could be much further away than the small snake you tried. A main line usually requires a pro to clean it out. It is not normal for it to overflow outside...normally, that pipe is sealed, so unless someone left a cap of, you may have a broken pipe (which could be the clog). Time for a pro, I think. Suggest you might avoid those with 'rooter' in the name.
  3. zsduncan

zsduncan New Member

Thats what I was thinking. I was hoping it might be something I could fix though. Thanks for your response.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Yep You need a Plumber/Drain Cleaner to snake the line clear.
    You have a clogged main sewer line.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

This is not a DIY job. It will take a HD industrial sized auger to clear the drain and even if you could find one, you would literally risk your life trying to use it. These things require a trained person to use. As others noted, it is very likely the cause is a broken pipe since that is about the only way drain water would escape the drain pipe and not overflow in the house. Sorry, there's no quick, easy DIY band aid fix.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; As others noted, it is very likely the cause is a broken pipe since that is about the only way drain water would escape the drain pipe and not overflow in the house.

It is more likely a cleanout opening with a missing cap or plug. The reason everything inside the house is working is BECAUSE the water is escaping outdoors.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010