Alcove tub tiling

Users who are viewing this thread

Angel9894

Reaction score
Hey guys, please find below a picture of our cast iron alcove tub. As you can see we have ripped pretty much everything out (tile is on it's way out now) but would like to salvage the tub. However I REALLY want to tile the tub apron/skirt. A number of contractors have said they can do it by building a small wall onto the front and tiling on to it. I know that the ideal situation is a drop in but can this be done with the current tub, and will the wall have to be very thick?
IMG-20111103-00074.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My recommendation, if you want a tiled front apron, replace the tub withone designed for a removeable panel or self installed wall. If you do keep what you have, the seam between the tub and the new wall would be difficult to seal or make look good and you'd need to ensure your shower door protected it well.

Angel9894

Reaction score
Ok, would it be crazy for me to replace these tubs even if there isn't anything necessarily wrong with them? Can this only be done with a drop in tub, or are there alcove tubs made for this also. If so, could you point me to some?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would have to build a "wall" in front of the tub slightly higher than the rim, and then tile it so that the tile dropped "down" to the existing rim of the tub. You would have to build out the perimeter of the tub so it had the "drop down" all the way around it to simulate a "bottom mounted tub". Installing a "flat rim" drop in tub is seldom a good idea in an alcove, because then you have to mount a "tile flange" around the side and back edges to seal it to the tile wall.

Angel9894

Reaction score
Hi HJ, can you post a picture that shows what you are describing. I'm trying to understand but still a bit confused.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you effectively built a deck over the existing tub, you could tile it and have a chance of making it waterproof.

Angel9894

Reaction score
Meaning like, almost build a deck over it for a pseudo undermountish look?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Yes...that would work but you'd end up with a small ledge everywhere but the outside. It would also make the step over height a little higher.

polkadot

Reaction score
angel9894, were you able to get this done? I am looking to do the same thing and would like to know if it's possible. Do you have any photos?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks