Airlift or Submersible Well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Traveller

Reaction score
Got a newby here guys. I was doing a Google search for a new holding tank for my air lift system and found this thread.

Education day for the guys!

The air lift well systems are common in my part of the world. Southeast Texas.

They are used when you may get a lot of sand come up with the water in shallow wells. Obviously, sand will destroy a submersible pump is short order. My well is only 140 feet deep so I was told when I bought the property in 1988.

I have a 2" well with PVC casing. A compressor blows air into the bottom of the well and lifts the water into (what I have) a concrete holding tank (like the old septic tanks). At the bottom of the holding tank is attached a shallow well jet pump with a pressure tank and this moves the water to the house or elsewhere.

The well casing is not set in cement. I have had this system since 1988 and have the original (at that time new) compressor with an oil sump. I have only had to replace the jet pump which was $250 per pump three times and the pressure tank once. I never had to call out a well service tech. All the work is easy and above ground.

We have never had a problem with bacteria in the water and it is excellent and would put it up against any bottled on the market. The lack of sunlight to the inside of the tank keeps algea or bacteria from growing.

Hope this helps and clarifies some questions. I hope you guys have learned something new today!

As basscat pointed out, this system is often used when a well has a tendency to produce a lot of sand that could harm a submersible pump. Is it safe to assume that the airlift system will bring a lot less sand to the holding tank than a submersible pump would?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks