Air noises into bladder water tank

Users who are viewing this thread

wolf33h

Reaction score
I am a newbie in more ways than one, so need some help in this. I have a well water system with a Well-X-Trol water tank. The pressure switch was set for 30-50 psi. After the well pump kicks in, around 40 psi, loud air noises
were heard from water rushing into the tank. When any faucet is open, air rushes out, then back to normal flow. What causes the air to rush into the tank? Air in the line from the pump, check valve into the water tank? Why does the air stop after the 40 psi point, up to 50 psi?
How does one check for air leaks in the pump line, and the pipe setup between the pump outlet and the water tank inlet? Any help is appreciated.

9/21/2007: Well driller checked and found defective check valve in pump, causing air to be pumped into water system. Since pump is over 20 yrs old, will replace
with new Gould pump which includes a check valve. I originally thought to air this thread in Plumbing Forum, however after determining no air leak in water system from tank to house faucets, thought it appropriate for the Wells and Pumps forum. After I found out the well is 335' deep, I called the well driller!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks