Air in water line

Users who are viewing this thread

jreed

Reaction score
My water system in my house has many components. I'm n a well and have the pressure tank, then a culligan iron filter, and the a water softener. Lately I've been getting a lot of air in my water. When I run a back flush on the iron filter (the first component after the pressure tank), it seems like every time the pressure tank kicks on it sounds like air is pushed through the line. I can hear an air sound at the iron filter. Would an issue with the pressure tank cause that?

jreed

Reaction score
This Is an xtrol tank with a bladder. Is it in the water line where the gauge is?

Reach4

Reaction score
Some Culligan units have an air pump. If yours is one, I would suspect that could be where your air comes from.

Have any wells in your area been running dry?

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Jreed,

With your description of the symptoms, I initially want to suspect the air injection system on your iron filter. Most iron filters require oxygen (or atmospheric air) to be injected into the system so that the iron filtration media can operate to full potential. Basically, you need ferrous iron, oxygen and a catalyst to convert the ferrous iron to ferric iron which can be filtered out.

If your well water has too low of a concentration of dissolved oxygen, you have to inject oxygen into the system to make the catalyst work to oxidize the iron into a filterable form. So these iron filters purposely pump AIR into the water.

If the air pump is stuck on, the valve is stuck wide open or there is a break in the tubing or piping, you may be injecting or sucking huge volumes of air into the system. Much, much more than is required. This would be the area that I would start to investigate first as it is purposely designed to pump air into your water system.

RADAR

jreed

Reaction score
It is a super s iron filter that does use a pump. Is there any way to diagnose that myself or is it time to call the culligan man?

Reach4

Reaction score

jreed

Reaction score
Thanks, I referred back to that thread and posted again. I realized that I may have been checking the wrong part and ruled out the filter wrongly.

jreed

Reaction score
As it turns out, I was checking the air injection check valve instead of the air relief solenoid. I pulled the air relief solenoid off and cleaned and that seem to do the trick.

One more question, I have a culligan medalist that seemed to lose a fair amount of resin through the backwash a few days ago. Could that have something to do with excess air as well? It is only coming out of the drain hose and not getting into my plumbing.

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Jreed,

I cannot answer to your question regarding the resin media in the post just above. However, I would like to spur you on to consider a B.I.R.M. iron removal filtration system. I read some of your other posts in the thread links up above and thought I would at least try to inform you of another iron (an manganese) removal process that may help you reduce operation costs. If I read everything correctly, you are using an iron removal system that requires rejuvenation with a brine of some sort. If this is correct, I would like to tell you about B.I.R.M.

BIRM is a natural mineral that is coated with a catalyst. This mineral, with its catalyst coating, reacts with the ferrous iron (the type of iron that is dissolved in many wells) and the dissolved oxygen in the water to form ferric iron.

The ferrous iron cannot be removed from the water by mechanical filtration. It has to be converted to ferric iron first in order for it to be removed by a filter mechanism. The BIRM media (and its catalyst coating) and the dissolved oxygen perform this conversion process.

That beneficial process is not the end of the BIRM media's duty, however. Once the ferrous iron has been oxidized to ferric iron, the BIRM media actually serves as the mechanical filter to trap that iron within the media.

To remove the buildup of the ferric iron, you simply backwash the BIRM with water straight from the well. No sodium chloride, no sodium hydroxide, no potassium permanganate, no chemicals required what-so-ever. Only vigorous backwashing with fresh water is all that is required.

To top this advantage, the BIRM and its catalyst coating is never depleted unless it is fouled by chlorine or some other agent. It will virtually last forever (within reason).

If this idea interests you, check out B.I.R.M. with Google. I use it! My friends who have iron water troubles use it! I swear to you, it works really great! It is not too expensive and you can build your own DIY filter mechanism for it or you can convert a discarded water softener to put it in. If the mechanics and electronics of the softener still operate, you are home free! Just dump out the used water softener resin beads and refill it with BIRM!

Gordy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks