air gap built into Fleck 7000 drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chevy427

Reaction score
Siphoning air is different than siphoning liquid. Siphoning liquid can't happen if there is an air-break.

Chevy427

Reaction score
Terry, what about "Tom" saying all codes allow either an air gap or an air break now, an air break won't stop a siphon?

Siphoning can either suck air or liquid. Siphoning through an air-break makes it impossible to suck a liquid, so an air break will avoid siphoning a liquid. It would require a combination of siphoning AND overflow of the tube where the air-break was intended to be (thus air-gap would further prevent that). Siphoning of a softener is extremely rare.

Cross contamination occurs more through migration than siphoning. Hard tapping a drain line and letting it come into contact with contaminated liquids can cause a casual, gradual migration of contamination up through the rain line into the unit. This can be increased if the drain is overhead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
This has to be the stupidest conversation in the history of stupid conversations. Its like having a circular driveway and NOBODY can GET OUT! LOL

Chevy427

Reaction score
I am afraid I am not following you. If you have a pop bottle with an inch of liquid in it, and a straw sticking in it about 6 inches above the liquid, you could suck all day on that straw and not draw any liquid into it.

Technically siphoning DOES mean to transference of liquids by means a negative pressure through a tube. But if there is an air break (no contact with liquid) then how can it siphon it? Again, siphoning would require the negative pressure suction in combination of the elimination (flooding) of the air-break.

But I have to admit that this is yet another thread that has gone way out there.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Siphoning air is different than siphoning liquid. Siphoning liquid can't happen if there is an air-break.
Really! An air break is a drain line from a softener etc., going into a larger drain line stand pipe a few inches, as dittohead mentioned, sewage backs up and comes up the stand pipe over the end of your softener drain line's air break and you're telling me that if there is a water line break etc. causing a negative pressure (called a vacuum or suction), that there is not going to be a siphon of that sewer water!! There certainly will be.

There can not be a cross contamination or sucking, siphoning etc. of that sewage water with the use of an air gap.

And "Tom" says the codes now allow either an air gap or an air break; doesn't matter, your choice. I guess the code guys don't see much chance of siphoning with an air break, personally I don't either and I think if you have sewage overflowing onto your floor you that's more important than if it touches the end of your softener's drain line but... except in California as dittohead mentioned, only an air gap is allowed.

Terry mentioned only an air gap and mentioned siphoning, I asked him about what "Tom" said about an air break being allowed and an air break not preventing the siphoning.

It seems that you may not know the difference between the two or, you can't follow the conversation or... you're just playing dumb. I go with the latter but maybe I'm wrong and it is the second choice.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Siphoning can either suck air or liquid. Siphoning through an air-break makes it impossible to suck a liquid, so an air break will avoid siphoning a liquid.
Then go take it up with dittohead, he is the one that said if a main water line break created a negative pressure AND there was a sewage backup at the same time the air break would cause the cross contamination. I replied to that, Terry replied to my post where he mentioned only an air gap, a vacuum break or double backflow prevention device and siphoning, and he wasn't taking about siphoning air. I peplied asking about "Tom" saying either an air break or an air gap and Terry hasn't replied yet.

It would require a combination of siphoning AND overflow of the tube where the air-break was intended to be (thus air-gap would further prevent that). Siphoning of a softener is extremely rare.
Well now there ya go, you finally got it!

Cross contamination occurs more through migration than siphoning. Hard tapping a drain line and letting it come into contact with contaminated liquids can cause a casual, gradual migration of contamination up through the drain line into the unit. This can be increased if the drain is overhead.
I fully agree and that's why there is this air break or air gap code we are discussing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks