Air Control Valve

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Chrisw1958, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Chrisw1958

Chrisw1958 New Member

What is a air control valve and what does it do on a bladderless tank? Is it mandatory?
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

It maintains the air cusion in the top of the tank and no, it's not strictly mandatory but without it you will have to drain the tank and re-establish the air cusion a couple times a year or more.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

There is more than one type of setup. Peter is referring to one that allows air INTO the tank. When the air bleeders are in the well, a float-style AVC works to allow the excess air OUT of the tank.
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

yes, I forgot those. But nobody has uses that set up around here.
  5. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

They are quite common in this part of the country. Most of the wells around here use regular galvanized tanks, probably 2:1 or more. If you see a sub/galvanized tank, it probably has a bleeder.

6. Chrisw1958

Chrisw1958 New Member

This had a steel tank and whenever the pump shut off it made a little pffft sound. My boss put in a bladder tank and it is getting air probably from the well as I have learned here. I guess we need to go back with a regular tank but I wondered where to buy the float style avc? Where do you get galvanized tanks all I see is steel with epoxy liner?
  7. Chrisw1958

Chrisw1958 New Member

What is 2:1 or more mean?
  8. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Epoxy lined is the "new and improved" galvanized-style tank.

The AVC is Grainger part# 7P020 . Probably also available at any good plumbing wholesaler.
  9. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

Ratio of galvanized tanks to bladder tanks. For every 1 bladder tank in this area there are probably 2 galvanized regular tanks.
  10. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Sears online sells some big glasslined tanks quite cheap.
  11. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Funny how they do different things in different parts of the country. Nobody installs non bladder air tanks up here. I have not used one in better than 30 years. Doubt I could even get one from my wholesaler unless I special ordered it.