Air Admittance Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Devans175

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my basement and need to move my laundry room. All of the drain lines are already in (there was a bathroom there before) The only problem I see is that the new utility tub will be kind of far from the main stack (10 to 15 feet away) Running a new vent will be difficult, and costly. Does anyone have any opinion on using an Air Admittance Valve? Any suggestions on best practices for installing it. The model I found online is "Air Admittance Valves by STUDOR"

Also, 1.2 inch is typical for a utility tub drain, isn't it?

You help is appreciated.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The AAV question arises here periodically, and always brings mixed comments. The simple answer to your question is, yes, the do work and it will vent your sink. The chief objection to them is that they are a mechanical device and therefore can/will fail. For that reason you must leave access to it. You still must have a "real" vent to the outside, which of course, you do. There is no pipe size 1.2". Maybe you're converting 1-1/4" to a rounded off decimal? I'd use 1-1/2" for a utility sink.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If that space was a bathroom previously, it should have been vented. You sure there isn't one, maybe burried in and old wall? Unless you are draining the washer into the sink, the standpipe for that should be 2".

sure_vent_wall_box.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Devans175

Reaction score
If that space was a bathroom previously, it should have been vented. You sure there isn't one, maybe burried in and old wall? Unless you are draining the washer into the sink, the standpipe for that should be 2".

The previous fixtures were on the opposite wall, along with the main stack for the house. I have room to run the drain lines, but routing a new vent, (since the main stack is now 15 feet away) would open a whole can of worms.

There is no pipe size 1.2". Maybe you're converting 1-1/4" to a rounded off decimal? I'd use 1-1/2" for a utility sink.

Sorry, I mis-typed. I meant 1.5. I appreciate the feedback!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks