Air admittance valves

Users who are viewing this thread

brosnt1

Reaction score
Can someone in the plumbing business tell me if they use these valves for new construction or remodeling, instead of actually running vent pipes? Are they accepted by the plumbing code. I know you still need at least one vent stack that is plumbed to the outside. but it seems that the use of these devices would save alot time and money.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes. They are used. Yes, some codes allow them, some do not. And most plumbers, especially many (not all) of those on this forum do not like them because they say they "fail" -- I have read that the real reason many (not those that post here, on this forum) do not like them is because it eliminates a lot of work for the plumber and hits him/her in the pocket. But that is only what I've heard -- so don't shoot the messenger. :cool:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
never-ending debate; not perfect; not an improvement.

Subject is (has been) already discussed and analyzed by trade and professional associations, regulatory agencies, manufacturers and more.

Too big a topic for a web discussion forum where plumbers, DIY, handymen, and other trades and professions. My opinion.

david

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Now *that* was the kind of answer that would make me a lot more friends! :p

Kudos to you! :)

Racer814

Reaction score
They are allowed in NC, but I think they are used waaaay too much....Lazy plumbers that don't want to do it the right way......they work fine on a sink when there's really no other option and I have used them on island sinks....

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
True pros generally shy away from them because they are a mechanical device and therefore are subject to failure. How frequently they fail is another question. My feeling is they have a place, but should not be used when conventional venting is a reasonable possibility. I don't think they are nearly as awful as many of the pros contend, but they are not the total answer to venting as the manufacturers might want you to believe.

chasbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Air Admitance Valve

I have been in trade 30 plus years, they have there place in this world as all things do, under a sink for a Island sink is a excellent place, or an existing home where you are changing things around and don,t want to tear the walls all up, however this being said , when using one follow the local plumbing codes and then you won,t go wrong, don,t use the codes you end up here in the Love connection , trying to figure out where life went astray.:eek:

Riosman

Reaction score
I would have used the valve in the island I'm building but local codes will not allow it.
The valve is not allowed in my county yet you can buy it anywhere. Must be in alot of homes around here.

alabubba

Project Engineer
Reaction score
I have two of them in my 30 year old house, no failures at all, so I trust them. When the house was built it was in the county, no codes in my county. Have no idea if the codes in the city it is now in would allow them or not - figure the house is grandfathered in....

R

Rancher

alabubba said:
Have no idea if the codes in the city it is now in would allow them or not - figure the house is grandfathered in....
Only grandfathered if you don't do a major re-model requiring a permit.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks