Aging gas lines in America

Users who are viewing this thread

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
they are not forcing us to smoke them.
No, they use persuasion and peer pressure. I think the tobacco companies are more than just enablers, but I don't know what chunk of the blame the smokers should bear for giving in to these tactics.

The companies are experts at manipulation and most people are amateurs at resisting. It's not a fair fight.

Cookie

Reaction score
That is too true, too. I remember the Marlboro man image, now, I didn't think he was cool, but, younger boys may had. The Virginia slims ever see their images? The younger girls could be persuaded. But, I got 2 sons who do not smoke and hates it. I got a young niece who is your Virginia slim girl. So sad. I tell her all the time, " nothing attactive about yellow teeth, a hoarse voice, and a chronic cough." Hopefully, she will quit. Her mom smokes alot, and one could say, the mother was an influence, yet, my husband smoked and both our sons do not. All in choice?

Cookie

Reaction score
Money. Both my sons have other things they want out of their money. And, they always hated the smell of smoke, too. They said more than once, that smoking is burning your money away.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
How did we get from aging gas lines to smoking? Major thread drift LOL

Interesting stuff though. Remember that tobacco was one of the products along with cotton and steel that was the base of this countries amazing economic power for many years. tobacco sales still put large amounts of money in the government coffers through taxation along with alchohol sales. If people would just get back to good old fashion smoking and drinking we might not have the deficit problems that we now have. It's kind of sad really. We adults have fewer and fewer vices to take our minds of the day to day drudgery of life. There was a time when a man could come home from work, light up a good cigar and have a couple martini's before a nice big steak dinner. Now we have all been convinced that it's a good thing to live longer which would be ok but to do that you have to not do all the fun stuff. Thank god for the guy that invented ****** though :)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thank god for the guy that invented ****** though

Yes I don't know what I would do without polyethylene gas pipes.

ConocoPhillips invented polyethylene in 1948.

A US company and yet all your cast iron gas pipes are exploding.

Sheesh.

What does a fella have to do to get a plastic gas pipe and his other utilities buried around here?

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I really would prefer the taxpayer to pay for it, especially those residing in other states.

I have this overwhelming sense of entitlement that I always try to pass on to those Americans living around me.

Who knows. Perhaps one day they will feel entitled too.

Rather than worth so little.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I have this overwhelming sense of entitlement that I always try to pass on to those Americans living around me.
If you Google the exact phrase
"sense of entitlement"
some of it is bad stuff.

But don't worry, that's what World Leaders suffer from! :D
You might have missed your calling! :D:D

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
:) Put simply, America owes me because I pay taxes. It owes you not only for that reason but also because you hold a vote.

Specifically, I expect it to provide:

1) healthcare if I fall sick so I can be put back to work

2) education from cradle to career

3) gas line replacement so my neighborhood does not blow up

4) a fire service that does not rely mostly on the generosity of volunteers. Ban volunteers and pay fire staff the salary they so bravely deserve!

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If the people in power in this country, whoever they really are, thought that you could actually get the things you list, they would "disappear you".

But at least they'd warn you off, first! :D After all, we/they are civilized! :D:D

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The people in power in this country maintain their wealth and status by promoting a false message, some might say "the American dream", that if you work hard, then you might get rich.

The truth is very few people will get rich.

So with that in mind, and a vote in your pocket, the best approach might be redistribution.

Tax the rich. A democratized version of theft. But one that works nevertheless.

And we can start by spending the money on these funky gas lines you seem to have everywhere.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
The difference in the size in our countries Ian, makes a huge difference. I honestly think you fail to recognize this.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Redwood,

those explosions were not on the line in the street.

The first was at a gas cannister plant (that makes propane and the like) and the second at a natural gas terminal.

Besides, our professional firefighters (salaried) were quickly on the scene.

There's no closed firehouses because the volunteers can't raise enough cash to keep the engines going in my neck of the woods. We value their service and pay for it through taxes. No welly boots at the traffic lights.

And America's not that big Cookie. We ran the show here well enough. Why can't you do the same? Is it too difficult? Man on the moon?

Get those plastic gas lines down there before we all burn!

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I will start on it right away right after I cure all the ills in our large country. :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Redwood,

those explosions were not on the line in the street.

The first was at a gas cannister plant (that makes propane and the like) and the second at a natural gas terminal.

Exactly didn't I say that we have to learn how to take the supply out at the roots?

Good thing BP is here to teach us how!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Says the man who promotes "wood pipe as good pipe" which is why the whole gas problem here started! Americans and their cheap pipe!

He'll be selling:

sewage_bev.gif

next!

Let's get Derrick out and lay some plastic pipe!

3leg_derrick.gif

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Says the man who promotes "wood pipe as good pipe" which is why the whole gas problem here started! Americans and their cheap pipe!

He'll be selling:

sewage_bev.gif

next!

Let's get Derrick out and lay some plastic pipe!

3leg_derrick.gif

Yea Ian thats the good stuff!
Surprising how long it lasted...
Every once in a while workers digging a line to replace it find wood pipe still in used that has outlasted the "New" materials attached to it...
Go Figure!

http://www.leesburgva.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=3318

I think we should follow the lead of the British Royalty by surrounding our homes with open cesspools calls "Moats" to keep the invading barbarians at bay...

Last edited:

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They pulled some old wood water mains in my city last year. They have been there since the 1800's and were actually still holding out just fine. The city only replaced them because they sized up the water main on that street for an industrial park

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks