After what feels like 100 hours researching toilets, I give up. UPDATE at end 3/18/15

Users who are viewing this thread

BrendaC

Reaction score
We bought a house where the previous owner had moved the toilet and covered up the original location with a bathtub. We decided to remove the tub and put the toilet back in the original location.

I researched countless hours...I wanted skirted, elongated bowl with dual flush (or at least 1.28 gpf to be more water efficient). I decided on the Toto Aquia II and ordered it two months ago. Also bought the Washlet B200.

When it arrived my contractor cracked the bowl during installation. The big box store was great and said they would send a replacement bowl for free. They sent the Drake bowl, which I returned and have been waiting for the Aquia bowl.

Yesterday, I finally decided to measure the rough-in. I had measured where the second toilet was and it was 12", so I assumed the original location was 12" also (HUGE mistake, I know).

It turns out we have an 11" in rough-in. From what I can tell, there is no way the Aquia II will fit.

I think the drain is 4" (it kind of tapers down, it is 3" at the narrowest but 4" at the top near the floor) and the water supply is 8" left of center.

I want a toilet that isn't too far from the wall but would like a Toto so I don't have to worry about compatability with the Washlet. Still want skirted and water efficient.

I am so over looking at toilets after dealing with this for two months. Can anyone please tell me what would fit?

Attaching pics, I know it shows about 10.5" to center from the wall but I measured from the baseboard which is 5/8" thick.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Edited to add: it was the contractor who drilled all the holes in the floor (failure to read instructions). The first set he drilled was for the 10" Aquia, so I think we could still use those. I'm wondering if I should just go non-skirted at this point.
FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_6988.JPG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any of the Totos that use the Unifit adapter could work and all of them are skirted. Depends on if you want a 1-piece or a two piece toilet. The II designation are all 1.28g flushes. THey come with the 12" unifit, but you'll likely need to buy the 10" one to make it fit. I have both a Vespin and a Carlyle (not the II, they're newer), and they have been working fine for me for a number of years. I'm pretty sure that the Aquia is also available in a 10" version.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Aquia MS654114 might do it, as its spec sheet says it's 1" behind the toilet, plus or minus 1/4". You can cheat it a little forward in that 4" flange. That's a one-piece.

The CST416M Aquia II isn't going to do it unless a very-good plumber cheats it forward 1/2", which a good one could do. That's the benefit of the 4" flange. And a very good plumber. I.e. NOT your contractor.

The Original Drake CST744E, or CST744EL if you want ADA-Height, will fit happily on 11". Close, but it will fit. If you want it a little schwankier, get it with the New Tank Option, CST774EN or CST744ELN. That new tank is a little classier. However, we have two with the regular Original Drake tank and like them very much. You can't beat the flush, and it's an excellent toilet that will make you very happy. And it's a good value. The one with the new tank is shown below.

upload_2015-3-8_21-3-12.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Note that with at least some the skirted Totos, the baseboard thickness cannot be ignored. You could go with that 10 inch rough-in Aquia you mentioned. There is a Drake 12 inch that would fit. I don't find the postings with he figures as to which one has how much space. With those you can ignore the baseboard.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Measure from the wall to the flange, not from the molding to the flange, since, if needed, some molding can be removed with a multi-tool saw (follow the contour of the skirt - you will be able to make angle cuts easily).

You would use a scrap piece of wood that is cut to the same rear angle as the skirt and then use its flat edge as a guide to rest the flat part of the blade to cut the same angle in the molding. You measure the length of the rear of the skirt, divide by 2, and center it between the two flange bolts. Conversely you can put a square against the wall, and put the edge touching the outside of the flange, then measure accordingly to ensure a tight fit to the skirt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Aquia MS654114 might do it, as its spec sheet says it's 1" behind the toilet, plus or minus 1/4". You can cheat it a little forward in that 4" flange. That's a one-piece.

I like the idea of installing the MS654114MF, especially with the Washlet.
I have a customer doing the exact same thing. Three of the Aquia one-piece, one with a Washlet.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms654114mf.pdf

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don' think that looks like a 4 inch flange. It seems small to me for a 3 inch in the picture.Unless that picure is deceptive, I would center the toilet over the flange.
23910-b44f166d5bbe214fb8d008f3be44498f.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With the Aquia or the Drake we're not worried about the molding. And you have plenty of room for the shutoff to the left.
We do worry about the bowl, but you do have to fit the tank.That's the part that goes the fartherst back. You can normally shift 3/8" in a drain like yours.

BrendaC

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the responses. Based on the recommendations, we went with the MS654114MF which fit in perfectly! I think there is about 1mm of space behind it.
IMG_7054.JPG

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Wow. The Ebony looks nice outside. I always find them to be a little Trump-ish and 80's Nightclub when I see them installed, though. Kind of expect a stainless-steel and purple neon kind of room for them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow. The Ebony looks nice outside. I always find them to be a little Trump-ish and 80's Nightclub when I see them installed, though. Kind of expect a stainless-steel and purple neon kind of room for them.

ms654114_black.jpg

You mean like this?
Very hard to take a picture of the black one. For some reason the flash reflects back to the camera.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
See??? Everyone puts purple with black!! :)

Way more current and elegant than I expected. However, white or tan would probably make that little nook look a little bigger/brighter. It certainly looks nice, though.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Black has to be something you really want...the price premium for that color glaze is substantial! And, black tends to show dust and dirt as bad or worse than white, IMHO.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks