AFCI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
If a kitchen or bathroom is protected by an AFCI/GFCI breaker, is still required to install a GFCI receptacle?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The only "benefit" would be that if it tripped first, you would not have to go to the breaker box to reset it.
That still does not answer my question.
But I understand where you are coming from.

Reach4

Reaction score

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
The answer to that implied question is yes. The answer to the original question is no.

Don't take my answers as authoritative, but I am correct in this instance.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
If you install a true AFCI/GFCI breaker then yes, you can install regular receptacles, but these are pretty rare yet.

A standard AFCI breaker DOES NOT have the level of GFCI protection to meet code. This goes for "combination AFCI" as well. The term combination does not mean it is combination AFCI/GFCI. It means it detects two different types of arc faults.
There is combination arc-fault breakers, and "dual function" AFCI/GFCI breakers.

Curious, why do you need AFCI protection on kitchen or bath receptacle circuits?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Where GFCI protection is required, it can be done either at the panel with a specialized breaker, OR as the first receptacle in the chain...there should only be one in the circuit...either way suffices.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
If you install a true AFCI/GFCI breaker then yes, you can install regular receptacles, but these are pretty rare yet.

A standard AFCI breaker DOES NOT have the level of GFCI protection to meet code. This goes for "combination AFCI" as well. The term combination does not mean it is combination AFCI/GFCI. It means it detects two different types of arc faults.
There is combination arc-fault breakers, and "dual function" AFCI/GFCI breakers.

Curious, why do you need AFCI protection on kitchen or bath receptacle circuits?
g
It now required according to NEC, thank you and the AFCI/GFCI are costly.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Here is one example.The ones we will be using are Eaton products,

Attachments

• dual-function-circuit-breaker.jpg
    dual-function-circuit-breaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 355

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
g
It now required according to NEC, thank you and the AFCI/GFCI are costly.
In your area? Just because the new NEC comes out does not mean it automatically applies in all areas. Although I guess many area have adopted it already.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks