AFCI Breakers in my Home Trip Randomly

Users who are viewing this thread

GMrules

Reaction score
I have Home built in 2010, in NC. At random times for no reason the AFCI breakers are tripping.

Various rooms trip for days then stop. I have pulled all the power strips, changed the wall switches to Cooper and cannot figure it out. These protect bedrooms, living room and bathroom lighting and exhaust fans.

I thought was the FANS but it happens when they are not on either. I had electrician come out and he says all looks normal.

He was suggesting we start replacing breakers, but then it stopped for a time now its back.

I saw online could be stab connections on receptacles, but dunno. Before I start replacing these expensive breakers, was wondering if anyone had some ideas on how I can get to the root cause as it is happening on like 4 or 5 branch circuits.

I called local town and they said we need AFCi on ALL living spaces not just bedrooms. I was thinking it was the fans in bathrooms but it happens when they are not even on.

I mean could it be a bunch of bad breakers? Brand is EATON Cutler Hammer.

Ideas before I start shelling out hundreds on Breakers?

Thanks
George'

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I've read, the original ones are much more prone to that than the newest versions, but I have no direct experience with them. All it takes is one loose connection somewhere on a branch to cause one to trip, a loose screw, poor wire nut junction, etc.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
These AFCI seem to have their own gremlins. Open the circuit breaker panel and check the grounds (neutral). A fairly new home there should be no corrosion so look for lose wires. Check the ground rod, if there is one. I assume you have CPVC pipe. Since these arc faults are expensive (so where GFCI when they first came out) buy one and replace one of them that maybe tripping more than the others and wait and see. Since you seem to indicate that it is very random then something is common through out the house. But as you found and it is also listed on this following URL, stab connections could be a cause.

Do your AFCI have a diagnostic LED? If not get one of these to help troubleshoot the problem.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?Idc...aveAs=0&Rendition=Primary&dDocName=TD003006EN

https://www.downloads.siemens.com/d...aspx?pos=download&fct=getasset&id1=BTLV_40705

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score

CubGirl

Reaction score
i had two of these in my home for about 6 months. they tripped constantly. once i figure out it was the AFCI, i had the electrician who installed them take them out. to me, they're junk.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
In my brothers newer home in VT, we could not use the vacuum cleaner. It would immediately cause the AFCI to trip. My next visit he removed most of them and replaced with standard breakers. This was about 2-3 years after it was built. Not sure if the AFCI gets more sensitive or it doesn't like a little arcing from the motor commutator brushes.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I put in about a dozen when I did a complete rewire of my house in CA (square D homeline). So far, only one apparent nuisance trip in 2+ years. Since AFCIs are still relatively new, it seems they may still be going through growing pains (like LEDs).

Remember when everyone cursed GFCIs? Now, it seems, no so much...

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Remember when everyone cursed GFCIs? Now, it seems, no so much...

I remember when "plug and play" (pray) first arrived and the first version of Windows. Talk about cursing and hours and hours of rebooting and re-installs. I'll take on AFCI anytime.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks