AFCI breaker (in Wisconsin) needed for dedicated light circuit?

Users who are viewing this thread

snokel

Reaction score
Does anyone know if arc fault breakers are required on dedicated light circuits in Wiscconsin?
Reason I ask is my house was built in 2012 and none of the dedicated light circuits have AFCI breakers but al the outlets that are not GFCI protected do.
I have a can light circuit in the basement that I need to permanently install in the panel.

Thanks,

Snorkel

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Both the state and your local code enforcement agencies could have slightly different adaptations of the national codes...the only way to really know is to talk to a local building inspector, IMHO. IOW, it depends on what implementation of the code, and which one, your local area is currently using. Some are still using the code defined from years ago, and have not adopted the newest ones.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I will add my none expert reply.

There is no need for a light to be on a Arc Fault protector.

If it is in a Damp location, like a basement, and you can reach the bulb, it should be on a Ground fault interrupt.

If the light is on a arc fault protector, and anything causes a arc , it Can turn off the light, and that is not good in a dark location, when you need to get out

A basement should always have aux lighting. I think, and a GFI is your best bet for safety protection.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
One's preferences have no standing if they differ from the code requirement. It's my understanding that in many places, (this assumes your locale has adopted them, they may not have) pretty much all circuits require an AFCI, and some also require it to be GFCI as well. I expect that there are some special exemptions, and the implementation date may yet be in the future. Bottom line, before you do any electrical work, you need to know YOUR local code with any local amendments, or you could run into trouble. And, note that they can and do change as newer regulations get implemented, changed, or repealed. IOW, it can be a moving target, so timing can be critical.

DonL

Reaction score
Very true Jim.

A internet forum is not a very good place to get info on YOUR code requirements.

The inspector is the one that you need to satisfy.

There are a lot of places that will not let you do any wiring.

I am lucky to live where I can do what I want, But I can not inspect my own work if a permit is required.

One should be very careful when playing with electricity.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Very true Jim.

A internet forum is not a very good place to get info on YOUR code requirements.
One also needs to be careful of what advice they take from the internet. Like your previous reply for instance.
You say your "non-expert" advice, yet you go on to make it seem your answers are factual, while NONE of them are.

DonL

Reaction score
One also needs to be careful of what advice they take from the internet. Like your previous reply for instance.
You say your "non-expert" advice, yet you go on to make it seem your answers are factual, while NONE of them are.

So what is the Expert Answer ?

I never claimed to be a expert, I just know some shit, and how electricity and electronics work.

Most light switches create a ark when you turn them on. Using a AM radio, You can test that theory for yourself.

Have a Safe day.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Every circuit that opens and closes through contacts will arc. The code requires “outlets” to be protected by arc fault and we have receptacle outlets as well as lighting outlets.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
After I rewired my entire house, and have most everything on AFCI breakers (lights too) I had one detect a faulty ballast in a bedroom light fixture. It would trip here and there, not often, not too much really at all, just made me wonder why it was the only one that had the issue. (the only thing on this breaker is this single light)

A few years later, When the light finally wouldn't come on, i took the fixture apart, and the bulb had black all over it, and the ballast behind the light housing was indeed bad. It was a new style round florescent tube, with the ballast hidden between the ceiling and the light fixture trim. now if I see it again, I will replace the fixture sooner ( i have 4 of these same ones )

I have had no troubles with any AFCI breakers at all, even after reading all the info about them and how they can trip willy nilly.

DonL

Reaction score
Chad,

A lot of the older AFCI breakers did have problems with RFI. They can trip willy nilly. Ham radio operators gave the manufacture fits, and helped them fix the problem. The newer AFCIs are a lot better.

If anyone has the old ones that trip willy nilly, You can get replacements free of charge.

Many of the new light fixtures have switching power supplies, Not to many use a ballast transformer anymore, unless it is a 48 inch tube, 40 watts or larger. Switching power supplies do not really arc, but the Switching frequency screws with the arc detection circuit.

A AM radio is one of the best arc detectors. Most of the RF that a Arc fault makes is in the lower part of the frequency spectrum, and can be very broadband, not at 60 or 120 Hz like you would think it should be using a 60 cycle source.

I use FB fuses and smoke detectors, They work for me.

Smoke detectors can also tell you when Dinner is done. My wife tests that theory all the time, and it works.

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
So what is the Expert Answer ?
OK...

There is no need for a light to be on a Arc Fault protector.
Yes, there is. Lighting outlets have been required to be AFCI protected for several code cycles now. It is safe to assume most areas fit this description.

If it is in a Damp location, like a basement, and you can reach the bulb, it should be on a Ground fault interrupt.
There is NO such code, nor is it really that beneficial. Lighting fixtures are not a real big source of ground faults or shocks due to dampness.

If the light is on a arc fault protector, and anything causes a arc , it Can turn off the light, and that is not good in a dark location, when you need to get out
So what??? If it's required it's required. You can't pick and choose the codes that you don't agree with. Sorry, but that's the society we live in. Maybe it's because you live in Texas. I hear a lot of places there don't have codes, or at least that's what I hear all the time on boards like this.

A basement should always have aux lighting. I think, and a GFI is your best bet for safety protection.
For receptacles, yes, I agree.

Reactions: SHR

snokel

Reaction score
I did talk to the inspector and they are required for lighting circuits. This is a fairly new requirement in WISC from what I can gather as my house was built in 2012 and there is a couple of light circuits that do not have AFCI which the inspector said are grandfathered in unless I want to change them out.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The codes are a moving target...so, it is always safest to check. THen, consider that the national code recommendation may change, but the local or state may not adopt it immediately, so what's true in some places, is not true elsewhere. You can get into a lot of trouble unless you ask, and then, sometimes the local agency amends the code and it doesn't follow any of the national ones. IT can be a real can of worms.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks